2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 1500 5.2L stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 01:30 AM
Brokemillenial
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 1500 5.2L stalling issue

Hey everyone I’m really hoping you can help out with the problem I’m having with my truck. I bought this thing about 3 months ago now and I’ve yet to use it to its full potential because it has been plagued with issues. I have already fixed dozens of problems with it (each time I fix one another one shows up), but now I’m stumped.

if I start the truck in park it’ll idle like a 350 big block with a nasty cam for a bit and the rpms will be erratic until it eventually stalls. If I shift to neutral from park or just start the truck in neutral it will idle exactly the way it should. If I shift from neutral/park to reverse or drive it will stall. The only code it’s throwing is for a CPS but I checked it and it doesn’t look banged up or anything and the wiring for it is fine as far as I could see.

This was right after putting the transmission back in the truck (for the second time) but I can’t think of anything I could do wrong that would affect it that way. It threw a different code for a TCC solenoid a while back, so I crawled under the truck and sure enough the 8-pin connector on the transmission was frayed/corroded so I picked one up from the wrecker and spliced it in but it didn’t help at all. I’m doubtful it has anything to do with the trans/engine and I’m leaning toward an electrical issue (I’ve been horribly wrong before though) which is not my area of expertise so I’m really hoping I can get some answers here!

Old 12-20-2020, 01:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokemillenial
Hey everyone I’m really hoping you can help out with the problem I’m having with my truck. I bought this thing about 3 months ago now and I’ve yet to use it to its full potential because it has been plagued with issues. I have already fixed dozens of problems with it (each time I fix one another one shows up), but now I’m stumped.

if I start the truck in park it’ll idle like a 350 big block with a nasty cam for a bit and the rpms will be erratic until it eventually stalls. If I shift to neutral from park or just start the truck in neutral it will idle exactly the way it should. If I shift from neutral/park to reverse or drive it will stall. The only code it’s throwing is for a CPS but I checked it and it doesn’t look banged up or anything and the wiring for it is fine as far as I could see.

This was right after putting the transmission back in the truck (for the second time) but I can’t think of anything I could do wrong that would affect it that way. It threw a different code for a TCC solenoid a while back, so I crawled under the truck and sure enough the 8-pin connector on the transmission was frayed/corroded so I picked one up from the wrecker and spliced it in but it didn’t help at all. I’m doubtful it has anything to do with the trans/engine and I’m leaning toward an electrical issue (I’ve been horribly wrong before though) which is not my area of expertise so I’m really hoping I can get some answers here!
The CPS can look fine but be bad. If you didn't pull it when you removed the transmission they are known to get broke.

Quick Reply: 1997 1500 5.2L stalling issue