2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tail lights out

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 09:20 AM
norteno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights out

This is a repeated question I have seen on sites and I have followed some of the basic suggestions listed below. Here it goes...99 ram 1500. Tail lights out... brake lights work... instrumental panel lights work... rear left turn signal and instrument panel left turn signal light was blinking fast and front left bulb was out... replaced that bulb... did not work...replaced the small black flasher relay and those lights stopped blinking fast but front left turn signal still did not work...all other related fuses were good.. I think there are two other ones related to flashers/blinkers in the fuse blocks....replaced multi switch and now, even the fog lights work now. They did not work before....except that left front turn signal and the tail lights still do not work... the instrument panel lights indicate all lights are working but they are not..I would really appreciate any assistance...thanks for listening to me..

Last edited by norteno; 03-20-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:40 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by norteno
This is a repeated question I have seen on sites and I have followed some of the basic suggestions listed below. Here it goes...99 ram 1500. Tail lights out... brake lights work... instrumental panel lights work... rear left turn signal and instrument panel left turn signal light was blinking fast and front left bulb was out... replaced that bulb... did not work...replaced the small black flasher relay and those lights stopped blinking fast but front left turn signal still did not work...all other related fuses were good.. I think there are two other ones related to flashers/blinkers in the fuse blocks....replaced multi switch and now, even the fog lights work now. They did not work before....except that left front turn signal and the tail lights still do not work... the instrument panel lights indicate all lights are working but they are not..I would really appreciate any assistance...thanks for listening to me..
That sounds like a ground issue.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:48 AM
norteno
Professional

Hey... thanks for the quick response....A ground issue at that specific socket ya think?

Old 03-20-2021, 10:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Hey... thanks for the quick response....A ground issue at that specific socket ya think?
Wait I screwed up the rear lights share a ground so if the park lights work the ground is good. Did you change the bulb? The front turn signal not working could be a ground or the bulb is bad. What I would do is get a cheap test light (at Walmart) they tests power and ground. See if you are getting both at the socket for the bulb.

So you have the fsm? If not you can get it from the FAQ section under "Factory service manuals"

Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 PM
norteno
Professional

No. Parking lights do not work either by the way... headlights work... turn signals front and back work except the front left... emergency flashers work except for that dang left front bulb...I changed taillights and the left front turn signal bulbs.. they're all 3057 bulbs..I haven't checked for power yet at the sockets.. I do have a test light and I will try that... and then start looking for corroded or broken wires .. is that the plan? Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:03 PM
norteno
Professional

Well I just checked for power at the tail lights and front left turn signal and no power..so what next? Trace wires around for ground connections or shorts?

Old 03-20-2021, 04:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well I just checked for power at the tail lights and front left turn signal and no power..so what next? Trace wires around for ground connections or shorts?
Yes that's what I would do. Could still be a bad socket.

Quick Reply: Tail lights out