2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter Neverending overheating problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:36 PM
Someone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter Neverending overheating problem please help

Here's what happenedNoticable coolant leak progressed into serious coolant leakIdentified as water pump
replaced water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, timing chain, serpentine belt etc.
Replaced oil and coolant and started without radiator cap to bleed system but overheated with the top hose cold and air in cab coldTried multiple times to bleed with no luckReplaced thermostat no luckWater pump too, no luckFinally I flushed the heater core and drilled bleed holes in the thermostat and then the top hose got warm but not hot still overheated. I'm exhausted and just about out of ideas. During replacing stuff i put coolant In different spots to see if it would flow out of another place like it should and it didn't seem clogged. The old coolant wasn't very dirty looking slightly opaque but still very green. Also my fan clutch is working.
if anyone has any suggestions please help me out

Old 03-27-2021, 08:46 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Someone
Here's what happenedNoticable coolant leak progressed into serious coolant leakIdentified as water pump
replaced water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, timing chain, serpentine belt etc.
Replaced oil and coolant and started without radiator cap to bleed system but overheated with the top hose cold and air in cab coldTried multiple times to bleed with no luckReplaced thermostat no luckWater pump too, no luckFinally I flushed the heater core and drilled bleed holes in the thermostat and then the top hose got warm but not hot still overheated. I'm exhausted and just about out of ideas. During replacing stuff i put coolant In different spots to see if it would flow out of another place like it should and it didn't seem clogged. The old coolant wasn't very dirty looking slightly opaque but still very green. Also my fan clutch is working.
if anyone has any suggestions please help me out
I just got a overheating issue fixed on mine today. I replaced thermostat and radiator which did not fix it. Ended up being the coolant temp sender not the coolant temp sensor. My truck has both. What year is your truck? Where are you located? If you end up needing to replace the rad and your close I can get you a good mopar one for a good deal.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Did you put the t stat in the correct way? What does the temp gauge read?

Quick Reply: 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter Neverending overheating problem please help