2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long tube headers fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 11:16 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Long tube headers fitment

Hey everyone I have the chance to possibly jump on some long tube headers made by hooker. Is this a good brand? Also is it a real pain in the butt for fitment on 360 with longtubes? Or should I stick to shortys?

Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Shortys are the easiest to install, as they adapt to your existing Y-pipe. They perform well. Long tubes require more work and modifications to your exhaust system. In my humble opinion, for a daily driven truck, not sure if long tubes are really worth all of the effort.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:50 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Shortys are the easiest to install, as they adapt to your existing Y-pipe. They perform well. Long tubes require more work and modifications to your exhaust system. In my humble opinion, for a daily driven truck, not sure if long tubes are really worth all of the effort.
thanks for the heads up I didn't know it would conflict with the Y pipe. Truck is not a daily driver but I get what your saying . Looks like I'll keep an eye out on shortys. Have any recommendations on the best gaskets to use ??

Old 06-06-2021, 12:45 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
thanks for the heads up I didn't know it would conflict with the Y pipe. Truck is not a daily driver but I get what your saying . Looks like I'll keep an eye out on shortys. Have any recommendations on the best gaskets to use ??
Most folks seem to like using the Remflex header gaskets. I used thick copper SCE gaskets along with a coating of copper RTV, as the copper header gaskets are reusable. I've experienced no leaks with them whatsoever.

As for shorty headers, I found a used set of JBA coated (inside and out) shorty headers locally on Craigslist some time ago. I've installed them and they look and work well. The coating is very tough and still looks great, in addition to keeping the underhood temperatures down.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-06-2021 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers fitment