2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding a 2nd fan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 PM
Catch_KC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a 2nd fan?

There's a lot of folks who convert their mechanical fan to an e-fan(s) on our 2nd Gen Rams... but has anyone just added an e-fan while still running their original mechanical fan?

The idea came to me while sitting at a stop light in 115 degree weather here in sunny Las Vegas, and my AC started to warm up until I got moving again. An electric fan would've surely helped out in this scenario. On top of that, the added airflow from an e-fan would also help cool the radiator while while stopped, especially in hotter climates.

So has anyone done this, or at least attempted it? Let me know what you guys think or point me towards some threads. Thank in advance.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Catch_KC
There's a lot of folks who convert their mechanical fan to an e-fan(s) on our 2nd Gen Rams... but has anyone just added an e-fan while still running their original mechanical fan?

The idea came to me while sitting at a stop light in 115 degree weather here in sunny Las Vegas, and my AC started to warm up until I got moving again. An electric fan would've surely helped out in this scenario. On top of that, the added airflow from an e-fan would also help cool the radiator while while stopped, especially in hotter climates.

So has anyone done this, or at least attempted it? Let me know what you guys think or point me towards some threads. Thank in advance.
A guy added a helper fan in the front behind the grill. It can be done

Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

I have done it! Running a 180 stat would help especially in Vegas. I have a duel flex a lite fan behind the radiator. It mounts right up against it but i made custom bracket to support it. I only had to cut the shroud on the sides for the mounts other than that you can't tell it's even there.
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric...tml?cat=32&p=5

Old 06-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Catch_KC

Originally Posted by Moparite
I have done it! Running a 180 stat would help especially in Vegas. I have a duel flex a lite fan behind the radiator. It mounts right up against it but i made custom bracket to support it. I only had to cut the shroud on the sides for the mounts other than that you can't tell it's even there.
Very cool! Can you send some pictures, or do you have a write up you can reference?

Also, I've used a 180 thermostat in the past, but It would throw a P1281 engine code during the cooler part of the year... saying that engine temp wasn't getting up to operating temps withing a certain time. I personally didn't care that this happened, except for the time of year that it would start happening was the exact time my smog was due!! So I had to take it up a little to either a 185/190 thermostat. If my smog were due in the dead of summer, I would've been golden! Lol.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:02 PM
Catch_KC

One more thing, I clicked on that link and there are a TON of duel fans there.... which one did you use?

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:11 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

You can use the 180 but you need to add a resistor to fool the pcm that it is running at normal temp. I don't believe they sell the fan i have because this was done years ago but they offer better ones now. No pics but if you can fab up some brackets that go to the shroud mounting points to support the fan. It's not hard just take accurate measurements.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

You can use the 180 but you need to add a resistor to fool the pcm that it is running at normal temp. I don't believe they sell the fan i have because this was done years ago but they offer better ones now. No pics but if you can fab up some brackets that go to the shroud mounting points to support the fan. It's not hard just take accurate measurements.
Just out of curiosity why didn't you install a fan in the front instead of in front the mechanical fan?

Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

The electric fan is a "puller" not a pusher so it had to go behind the rad and there would be no clearance for it in front. It has it's own shroud that goes up to the surface of the rad. Many of you may not know but flexolite also offers a fan blade that has more blades then stock. I also have one of them. This all was installed because i couldn't keep the truck cool during the summer. Long story short you need to pay attention to the amount of rows in the radiators(top to bottom)> I found out after the rad i put in took a crap years later then the replacement had more rows witch was the cause of it not being able to cool properly. You got love the "replacement" aftermarket. If you need to replace your rad count the row and don't except anything less that the factory amount. I don't know how many the factory rad has because both of my trucks have replacements. If any of you have a factory rad(5.2/5.9) please count the rows and post it please.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The electric fan is a "puller" not a pusher so it had to go behind the rad and there would be no clearance for it in front. It has it's own shroud that goes up to the surface of the rad. Many of you may not know but flexolite also offers a fan blade that has more blades then stock. I also have one of them. This all was installed because i couldn't keep the truck cool during the summer. Long story short you need to pay attention to the amount of rows in the radiators(top to bottom)> I found out after the rad i put in took a crap years later then the replacement had more rows witch was the cause of it not being able to cool properly. You got love the "replacement" aftermarket. If you need to replace your rad count the row and don't except anything less that the factory amount. I don't know how many the factory rad has because both of my trucks have replacements. If any of you have a factory rad(5.2/5.9) please count the rows and post it please.
I think mine is factory I'll count them for you sometime today. I am going to install a pusher fan in the front to help with the AC when sitting in traffic (like the Durango's have) no shroud or anything. Thought about full electric but I don't trust them yet to tow with them.

Thanks for the info

Old 06-22-2021, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

I have the adjustable controller and it lasted for years but last year the positive terminal melted so i have to get another one. It also can wired for a switch in the cab to turn it on.

Quick Reply: Adding a 2nd fan?