2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights keep flickering and dont stay on

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Steve1098
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights keep flickering and dont stay on

So after researching on here, i first replaced my headlight switch, but with no change. It was used off ebay, so maybe that didnt help. So basically my lights flicker on and off. The high beams for example only stay on for a few seconds before the relay under the dash can be heard clicking (which means its working i guess), and then a few seconds later the high beams come back on...and it repeats this cycle. My low beams also flicker too, but no relay clicking is heard. Luckily i have the fog lights, so that provided some light when the headlights turn off. This issue is on my 1995 ram, and it has the pull-out type headlight switch, not a rotation one like on my 2000. If i forcible jiggle the switch a certain way, i can make the headlights come back on after they flickered off, but they dont remain on...they keep shutting off. Should i buy a brand new headlight switch, or is it something else?

P.S. I dont think this is related, but might be. Occasionally i manually hold the high beam on at the same time the low beams are on, it i need additional visibility for a few seconds. Does this burn out the headlight switch? I have been doing this for years though. My stock headlight switch also looks brand new with no signs of burning anywhere, (ironically the one from Ebay looks overused and burnt up though)

Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

Sounds like its time for a new headlight switch, at a minimum. Could also be a wiring issue (check the ground wires for good contact), however, 2nd gen trucks have known headlight switch issues. I recently changed mine out for a new switch and also added a new headlight harness with relays to take the heavy electrical load off of the headlight switch.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

What do you have 1500, 2500/3500? There was a recall on the 3500's for the switch. You need to look at the plug that goes on the switch and see if there is any melting of the plastic. If so you need to get the pig tail plug that goes on the back of the switch and replace it.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Chuck949910
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might not help, but my truck headlights went out one night on the way home, and I noticed when I tilted the steering column up and down the lights would become intermittent. Took the plastic housing off the steering column and found one of the wires on the back of the multifunction switch was completely disconnected and another was almost disconnected. Since the wiring harness was borderline too short, I patched a short piece of wire into the harness and soldered both loose wires back into the plug. That fixed the problem and it never happened again. YMMV

Chuck

Before repair

After repair

Quick Reply: Headlights keep flickering and dont stay on