2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scan Tool for the 1998.5 w/ 24 Valve Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 12:46 PM
riderboy1961
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scan Tool for the 1998.5 w/ 24 Valve Cummins

I am wanting to buy a Scan Tool for my truck. Any suggestions on one that works particularly well on the 1998.5 Dodge Ram 24 Valve Cummins?
I have looked at some online and found one (INNOVA 5610 CarScan Pro) that I think is what I need but I wanted to check with you folkes and find out what Brand/Model you use?

Thank You

Old 08-10-2021, 12:35 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Diag tools for pre-CAN bus Chrysler vehicles are generally a bit of a crap shoot. These vehicles have typically multiple communication buses with different protocols, namely SCI and CCD. The required OBD2 functionality is provided via the SCI bus, and virtually every modern scan tool supports it. Advanced functionality like bidirectional control, detailed data or ABS/Airbag is only accessible via the CCD bus. That requires additional hardware in the tool and the typical DIY scan tools don't bother with it as the vehicles are 20+ years old by now. That leaves you with either expensive "shop level" tools or finding an older shop tool that has outlived its usefulness for modern vehicles. That's what I did and scored an OTC Genisys from a local shop on CL.
Having said that, the Innova tool claims support for ABS and airbag for your year truck but then again no ABS live data, no bi-directional control so it's a gamble if it has any better functionality than a $30 tool. Sorry don't have any better news.

The following users liked this post:
riderboy1961 (08-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Scan Tool for the 1998.5 w/ 24 Valve Cummins