2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram 5.2 died, shop is baffled

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 10:21 PM
4stgs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram 5.2 died, shop is baffled

I have a 1999 Ram with a 5.2 auto, 150,000 miles, and was driving July 20 and the truck just died like it ran out of gas. Cranked but wouldn’t fire. Has gauge had read fine. Added gas anyway to try, no go. Had it towed to a seemingly reputable shop who determined it had a bad ground battery cable connection, it was barely making contact, so they repaired that and then said after a “tap test” the under hood power/fuse block had corroded connections. They initially ordered a used block that they were going to use to replace it, then decided that it was less trouble to clean all the connections and put it back together. $450 and 2 weeks later, I walked out hoping the problem was fixed. Two days later it did the exact same thing, and was showing No Bus in the odometer digits. Had it towed again back to same shop last Wednesday the 4th. To this day they are stumped, and now the starter won’t even crank. What’s my next move?

Really, I am asking if I should pull my truck from the shop and take it elsewhere. They’ve had it three weeks and they have four or five locations in town, with seemingly good Google reviews, I just can’t figure out why they haven’t been able to find the issue in that timeframe. And I baby that truck, it’s not like it’s a beater or has crap bolted on all under the hood, it is factory original and pretty much pristine.

Last edited by 4stgs; 08-13-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:39 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Find a shop that does not try shortcuts. There is a weird square connector (C130) in the PDC that a lot of different wiring runs across, including power to the PCM, the bus connection to the instrument cluster and the connection for the park interlock switch. Coincidence ?

Old 08-12-2021, 12:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 4stgs
I have a 1999 Ram with a 5.2 auto, 150,000 miles, and was driving July 20 and the truck just died like it ran out of gas. Cranked but wouldn’t fire. Has gauge had read fine. Added gas anyway to try, no go. Had it towed to a seemingly reputable shop who determined it had a bad ground battery cable connection, it was barely making contact, so they repaired that and then said after a “tap test” the under hood power/fuse block had corroded connections. They initially ordered a used block that they were going to use to replace it, then decided that it was less trouble to clean all the connections and put it back together. $450 and 2 weeks later, I walked out hoping the problem was fixed. Two days later it did the exact same thing, and was showing No Bus in the odometer digits. Had it towed again back to same shop last Wednesday the 4th. To this day they are stumped, and now the starter won’t even crank. What’s my next move?
You have two different problems here.
Starter not even cranking is one. There are many possible solutions but if it were me I would start with the fuse box and battery terminals since they were in there.

"No bus" is the other. That means that the cluster list communication with the PCM. Usually it's a sensor on the 5V reference that is bad, but I have seen wires that were frayed. Unfortunately both these problems will require a test light and multimeter to diagnose.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram 5.2 died, shop is baffled