2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

An FYI - truck no-start due to a bad oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 01:14 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 316 Likes on 298 Posts
Default An FYI - truck no-start due to a bad oil pressure sensor

I was going to take a 3 hour ride in my truck to haul back a loader for my tractor. I went out and started the truck and it started up fine. I went into the house to pickup a couple of items to take with me on my trip and when I came back out, I found that my truck had shut off. I tried to re-start my truck, but couldn't get it to fire. Luckily, I knew that my oil pressure sensor was likely going bad, as the oil pressure light on the dash flashed the last time I drove the truck when I came to a stop at traffic lights while the truck was idling. I had purchased another oil pressure sensor (since they are known items to go bad) and had planned to install it, but it had rained the evening I had planned to change it. Now that the truck wouldn't start, I had the feeling that the oil pressure sensor had indeed gone bad. I went ahead and swapped out the oil pressure sensor and the truck fired right up. I noticed that the old sensor had some oil on top of it, so it had likely cracked and started to leak oil, in addition to not allowing the truck to start/run. As an FYI, it took me about 20 minutes to change out the sensor and most of that time was rounding up the tools necessary to change the sensor. Thankfully, I was able to change the oil pressure sensor and still make my trip.

Hope someone finds this information helpful if they have a no-start condition with their 5.2/5.9 engine truck.

Quick Reply: An FYI - truck no-start due to a bad oil pressure sensor