2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinched Crank Sensor Wire/Plastic Sheet (transmission and engine block)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:33 AM
kkresge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinched Crank Sensor Wire/Plastic Sheet (transmission and engine block)

I went to replace the crank sensor on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD pickup and when I went to pull the wire up to disconnect the wire wouldn't budge, I finely figured out, after a lot of feeling around on top of the transmission, that the wire and plastic sheeting was pinched between the transmission and the engine block. (now I know why the sensor went bad) Spent the next few hours working at pulling the wire out, got most of it out except for the last inch or so (all the wires eventually pulled through so I believe only the plastic sheathing is left.

My question will this be an issue leaving it as is will it affect the transmission?

Second question is there an easy way or a trick to separating the transmission from the engine without removing it? I tried loosening all the mounting bolts but just can't seem to get the transmission to pull away from the engine block allowing me to remove the remainder of the plastic.

Thanks

Old 09-14-2021, 12:46 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

The squished wire won't affect anything, it's not thick enough to cause a misalignment. The bell housing just has the flexplate and torque converter in it. It's not filled with fluid either.

To slide the transmission back you would need to at least loosen the transmission mount or crossmember, but you can try to jack up the bell housing just a little which should create a little gap on top. Don't use the oil pan....

Old 09-14-2021, 08:16 AM
kkresge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I was hoping for that advise, I had tried loosening al the bolts as well as the cross member bolts, I also though of jacking up the transmission thinking it would create a gap, but no luck , just lifted the truck, maybe the transmission jack was not strong enough, thoughts about using a regular floor jack or could that break the bell housing?

Quick Reply: Pinched Crank Sensor Wire/Plastic Sheet (transmission and engine block)