2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97' Ram 5.9 Laramie Slipping Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 06:38 PM
BrokenChains
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' Ram 5.9 Laramie Slipping Transmission

Howdy,

My transmission slips only when I turn left.
I just had an oil change and asked my mechanic shop to check all fluids, belts and hoses while they had it.
They told me all fluids are good, as well as belts and hoses. Tires rotated as well. Trying to take care the ol' boy. Gonna be an antique soon!

So as I mentioned, the slipping only happens when turning left. This has been an off & on for several years.
I asked my mechanic as well as AAMCO transmission. No real definitive answers.

A google search says it could be due to ware. Motor has over 200k miles.
Another search showed some other forum that jeep owners had the same issue. But that forum never showed any posts with fixes.

So I am hoping one of you ol' boys knows what's causing this and has a real recommendation for a real fix.
Much appreciated.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:45 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

What truck? 1500, 2500?

I would lean more towards some kind of differential issue. What exactly are you experiencing? RPM spike?

Old 12-16-2021, 07:33 PM
BrokenChains
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
What truck? 1500, 2500?

I would lean more towards some kind of differential issue. What exactly are you experiencing? RPM spike?

it's a 5.9 1500.
When making a left hand turn, I loose acceleration, the motor goes faster (rpm spike) and I am basically coasting, until I either let off the gas or the transmission jerks into gear.
I have learned to let it coast, then barely press accelerator to see if transmission will engage. If it does, then I am able to accelerate. If it does not, I let it coast another second or two and try again.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:38 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like it could possibly be low on fluid. I'd check that 1st. Your transmission uses ATF+4 fluid.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:57 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Sounds like it could possibly be low on fluid. I'd check that 1st. Your transmission uses ATF+4 fluid.
Yea it does appear to be disengaging, I'm wondering maybe a crack in one side of the filter, all the fluid sloshes to one side when cornering, allowing the trans to such air. I agree verify the level. I know you already had a shop do it but its not hard to do yourself. Get the truck warm then set the brake let it idle in neutral and check the dipstick for it on passenger side of the engine bay. If fluid is within range. Id maybe find a more reputable trans specific shock have look. Probably throw a pressure gauge on it and road test, verify pressure loss is the cause

Quick Reply: 97' Ram 5.9 Laramie Slipping Transmission