2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ongoing stereo issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 AM
moorefield
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ongoing stereo issue

Years ago i replaced the cassette player in our 1999 diesel truck. The ongoing problem is an intermittent popping of the stereo at startup. There is a loud 'pop' and the unit shuts down. The aftermarket system includes a CD player, 2 channel amp and pair of 6x9 speakers in the front door.
Over the years, I've swapped a few used CD players, swapped a few new amplifiers and cables. Even changed the brand of speakers at least twice

I ran new speaker wires to the doors
The amp goes straight to battery (with fuse) and is grounded to the floor close to the amp.
The stereo unit's negative wire is run to the outside firewall.
Solder all wire connections and heat shrink wrapped them

It doesn't pop each time, but when it does it always on start up. I've done lots of aftermarket systems and never had this issue.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The ongoing problem is an intermittent popping of the stereo at startup. There is a loud 'pop' and the unit shuts down.
What happens when you turn the key to accessory, Does it still do it or is it only when starting the engine?

Old 03-29-2022, 02:58 PM
moorefield
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great question and i'm not sure of the answer so i'll do some research and report back. thanks!

Quick Reply: ongoing stereo issue