2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Brake Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 04:53 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Is it really threaded thru the back? I've dealt with '00 and '96 and they look like maybe a press fit on each style.

I've only got the driver side available for '99 and earlier. I'm 99% they're identical save for the location of the parking brake cable hole. If you're desperate I can send you this LH one and you could drill for the cable (the casting is already there and I doubt the EXACT location is critical, so if you're off an 1/8" I can't see it mattering).

I can also try to tap this anchor pin out but it necks down so thin where the springs reside it might just bend.....I honestly have no idea how tight of a press fit we're talking about

LH, '99 and earlier

Backside of pin

Dirty gloved finger indicates casting for otherwise symmetrical backing plates

Old 06-19-2022, 04:58 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

ACTUALLY I THINK I'M MISTAKEN! IIRC the plates ARE identical which is why they made the parking brake cable STUPIDLY exit the plate from the REAR on the driver side and it then exits from the front on the passenger side. Even Dodge was too lazy to mirror it and instead used the exact same plate on both sides. I discussed this in my thread on 9.25 differences....but I've slept since then so all RAM (pun?) was erased from my brain

Old 06-19-2022, 05:03 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

And some machinist rambling: if that larger portion of the pin is solid steel I wouldn't hesitate to yank the plate, put it in a mill and just drill and tap....say 1/4-20 or 5/16-18.

Then grab a Gr8 bolt, turn the head round (only because trying to get a spring over a hex head would REALLY suck) and call it good.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:00 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Are there any pick and pull type junkyards there in Florida? If so, you should be able to find the center brake anchor there without having to pull the backing plate. Price should be more than right, too.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:22 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Is it really threaded thru the back? I've dealt with '00 and '96 and they look like maybe a press fit on each style.

I've only got the driver side available for '99 and earlier. I'm 99% they're identical save for the location of the parking brake cable hole. If you're desperate I can send you this LH one and you could drill for the cable (the casting is already there and I doubt the EXACT location is critical, so if you're off an 1/8" I can't see it mattering).

I can also try to tap this anchor pin out but it necks down so thin where the springs reside it might just bend.....I honestly have no idea how tight of a press fit we're talking about

LH, '99 and earlier

Backside of pin

Dirty gloved finger indicates casting for otherwise symmetrical backing plates
i appreciate the feedback and unfortunately it is pressed in. These things are impossible to find! I appreciate your help greatly

Old 06-19-2022, 06:39 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
And some machinist rambling: if that larger portion of the pin is solid steel I wouldn't hesitate to yank the plate, put it in a mill and just drill and tap....say 1/4-20 or 5/16-18.

Then grab a Gr8 bolt, turn the head round (only because trying to get a spring over a hex head would REALLY suck) and call it good.
this is not a bad idea at all. I might end up going this route

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Help!