2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FYI/Start up misfires on '96 Ram 1500/5.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 09:04 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default FYI/Start up misfires on '96 Ram 1500/5.2

Started (pardon the pun) having misfires on start up on 'ol Blue a few weeks back ('96 Ram 1500/5.2, never rebuilt~250K). Being the lazy bozo with a back up vehicle ready to go, I instantly got right on the procrastination train and figured that since the 'misfire' only lasted a minute or so, whaddo I care?!? Valve stem seal, cracked or leaky cylinder head...who knows, who cares?
Anyhow, one day whilst a few miles from home, the battery craps out in a spectacular manor. I replaced it and voila, no more misfire on start up.
Related, can't say fer shore, however, it's been about 3 weeks now n no more misfires! Hope this helps someone else with similar problems and an old battery.

Old 09-22-2022, 09:14 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by true blue
Started (pardon the pun) having misfires on start up on 'ol Blue a few weeks back ('96 Ram 1500/5.2, never rebuilt~250K). Being the lazy bozo with a back up vehicle ready to go, I instantly got right on the procrastination train and figured that since the 'misfire' only lasted a minute or so, whaddo I care?!? Valve stem seal, cracked or leaky cylinder head...who knows, who cares?
Anyhow, one day whilst a few miles from home, the battery craps out in a spectacular manor. I replaced it and voila, no more misfire on start up.
Related, can't say fer shore, however, it's been about 3 weeks now n no more misfires! Hope this helps someone else with similar problems and an old battery.
Yes, a bad battery can cause all sorts of issues, misfires being one of them.

Glad you got it sorted out and have the truck happily back on the road.

Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
true blue (09-23-2022)

Quick Reply: FYI/Start up misfires on '96 Ram 1500/5.2