2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump Primes Endlessly

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 06:42 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawlyn
So you’re saying I’ve got a short. Any tips on how to find it?
If your multimeter has a beep function (or what ever it's called), place one probe to the relay socket and other to the good ground. Now you should have constant beeeep from the multimeter. Then just start pulling the harnes, and when the beep goes away, you're close.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Kawlyn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. I’m back with no solution still. Before searching for the potential short, I did the smart thing and rechecked to see if the ground continuity changed when turning the car on. And I don’t know what I was looking at before, but shifting the key into the “on” position most definitely got rid of the ground trace.

In the meantime, I have ordered a new PCM hoping that could fix it and knowing there is some lead time to get it programmed.

if anyone has any other ideas - feel free to throw it out there! Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

You should be able to swap the PCM from another truck. I found one with the same part number for my '96 Ram. Unplugged the old one and plugged in the new/used one and the truck started right up. If you find a PCM with the same part number as the existing one on your truck, it should be plug and play for that year truck.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Primes Endlessly