2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burned out

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 01:38 AM
Michelle Hart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned out

Well here I here again with a whole ton of new problems. Hope someone can help. Just put tons of money in our 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. And working on it today attempting to wire our trailer up we ran into a major issue. Something caught fire under our dash, drivers side. After inspection realized it was the wires going to the brake switch. One wire totally bare as far as I could follow it the rest, well stuck together but able to be saved. So here is my question. Is there a separate wiring harness just for that brake switch or does it only tie into the main harness? I Googled and Googled and can't find notta!!! I am praying there is a stand alone harness just to keep what sanity I have left. Sure hope y'all pull through for me. Y'all never failed ne yet. Thank you in advance for any input.
Literally Burned Out
Michelle
Ps. If you need pics let me know I will shoot some in the morning!!!!

Old 10-07-2023, 06:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The brake switch is fused. Does your truck have the trailer tow option?

Old 10-07-2023, 09:07 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

I very much doubt there's a harness but I can't say for sure.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you also need to figure out why this happened. Is an aftermarket TBC (trailer brake controller) installed?

Old 10-07-2023, 02:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

You can download the service manual for your year truck via this link - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

I believe chapter 8 has the complete wiring diagrams for the truck.

Quick Reply: Burned out