2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 09:02 AM
willygill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump help.

I have a 95 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 SLT. MY fuel pump took a dump on me. I tried hooking up an external pump looking for a quick fix it would not pull through the internal pump so I took the pump out of the tank, pull the guts out of it. Ran a draw straw to the fuel filter inside the pump and replaced it all and then got pressure at the Presta valve, I guess not enough because it still won't start without starting fluid. I hear these are kind of picky about the amount of fuel pressure. My question is this I have a 2006 ram 1500 on my property in Oregon with a perfectly good fuel pump. Is it possible to use the pump from the 2006 on the 1995 I see that the pump from the 06 seems to push a little more psi by about 10 or 15 pounds and the 95 pressure regulator is at 40 psi. Like I said, I'd hoped to cut a corner and save a dollar or two because I had several external pumps I thought maybe after I gutted the pump housing Thst my external pump would pull the 40 psi that the regulator allows and push it up to the fuel rail. This was not the case so I am still trying to not spend money. If I don't have to I mean absolutely have to sew. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:21 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 306 Likes on 289 Posts

That truck is about 28 years old. If you're planning to keep it on the road a while longer, if would be best to go ahead and put a new fuel pump in it so you won't have to deal with that issue again for quite some time in the future. Delphi and Denso are the OEM pumps, so I would go with one of those to keep from having to revisit this job again in the near future.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:02 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willygill
I have a 95 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 SLT. MY fuel pump took a dump on me. I tried hooking up an external pump looking for a quick fix it would not pull through the internal pump so I took the pump out of the tank, pull the guts out of it. Ran a draw straw to the fuel filter inside the pump and replaced it all and then got pressure at the Presta valve, I guess not enough because it still won't start without starting fluid. I hear these are kind of picky about the amount of fuel pressure. My question is this I have a 2006 ram 1500 on my property in Oregon with a perfectly good fuel pump. Is it possible to use the pump from the 2006 on the 1995 I see that the pump from the 06 seems to push a little more psi by about 10 or 15 pounds and the 95 pressure regulator is at 40 psi. Like I said, I'd hoped to cut a corner and save a dollar or two because I had several external pumps I thought maybe after I gutted the pump housing Thst my external pump would pull the 40 psi that the regulator allows and push it up to the fuel rail. This was not the case so I am still trying to not spend money. If I don't have to I mean absolutely have to sew. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
94/95 are in the 40's or something. Wont work.

i can gravity feed my 94 when the pump dies.

i have seen just the pump portion for sale without the casing though and it was pretty cheap. Was for a jeep. Same thing i believe.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump help.