2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 09:46 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank, no start

I've got a 360 5.9 and the other night it died as I was driving. I pulled it off the road and messed with a ton of sensors (jiggling them) and I removed the air tube to the fender. It started and got me home. Went to my moms last night and when I went back out to the truck it would crank but wouldn't start. I can't hear my fuel pump turning on, it did act like it wanted to start the first two tries, almost like it had not gotten anymore fuel pressure. My question is, is it possible to just be a blown fuse or relay? Or is it definitely the pump? Or could it maybe be the throttle position sensor? I'm gonna go out to it after work and see if theres any pressure at the rail and check any sort of fuses/relays I can find. But any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-30-2023, 09:59 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 323 Likes on 305 Posts

With the age on these trucks, dying fuel pumps are pretty common. Checking the fuel pressure reading at the fuel rail is a great idea. Also, check to see if these are any stored or pending codes by plugging in an OBD2 code scanner. If you end up replacing the fuel pump, be sure to get a good one so you won't have to do that unpleasant job twice. A Denso or Delphi pump should be the only choice for replacement, if needed.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:33 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

2 of the Jeeps I used to have and my 2001 truck have all 3 had this problem. It was the crank position sensor. Mopar only sensors. I would check the fuel pump first like AtomicDog says. It's easier to check first.

Quick Reply: Crank, no start