2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Died

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:15 AM
Brandonlee97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did oil spray on the coil and wires? Did you check if you have spark?
Not that I noticed but I can’t rule it out because I didn’t necessarily look to see that it did.

I did not check. I had to get it pulled out with the tractor to get my other truck hooked up to the camper and continue the move. By then it was dark. I will check for spark later this evening

Old 03-16-2024, 04:38 PM
Brandonlee97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came back to update. Had the truck fixed. It ended up being the crank sensor broke in two. Had to fish it out and replace.

Guy says it’s likely because of the headers I’ve got on there getting everything to hot. Your guys thoughts on that?

Old 03-16-2024, 09:59 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Seriously doubt that heat from the headers would cause a crank sensor to break in two, as the headers are a good distance from the crank sensor. I've run shorty headers (uncoated and coated) on my truck with no issues whatsoever.

Did you figure out where the oil leak was coming from? If hot oil was getting on the crank sensor regularly, that may have caused it an issue..

Last edited by AtomicDog; 03-16-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonlee97
Came back to update. Had the truck fixed. It ended up being the crank sensor broke in two. Had to fish it out and replace.

Guy says it’s likely because of the headers I’ve got on there getting everything to hot. Your guys thoughts on that?

The headers do make things a bit warmer under the hood but I doubt they were the cause. Your engine fan draws air over the entire engine. I suspect the sensor just had a fault that finally failed. Tracing these can be fun as there is usually no code. The computer doesn't know it's supposed to be getting a signal.

Glad you got it going again.

Quick Reply: Truck Died