2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram 1500- Fuel pump priming

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 05:06 PM
Drewgamez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram 1500- Fuel pump priming

i have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 2x4. Issue is when turning the key to the on position, the fuel pump is supposed to prime for a few seconds, but my fuel pump primes and stays on. Turn key all the way, get a crank but no start. Fuel is in the fuel rail but the fuel pump won't stop priming and engine will not kick over. Then all of the sudden, the fuel pump will stop priming and the engine will turn over and start normally. No codes are coming up, checked fuel pump fuse and relay, all good. A couple times, once the truck starts it will run for a bit and then die while driving, usually when rolling to a stop. It will usually start back up but will die again eventually, also when rolling to a stop.

Could this be bad ECM? Sensor of some kind? Im hesitant to change the fuel pump because im not convinced this is the issue just yet. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:36 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

What's the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Old 03-22-2024, 05:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Pcm is supposed to prime the pump and shut off until the engine starts. If the relay is not sticking i would think it's a bad pcm.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:57 PM
Drewgamez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing PCM as well. I did notice my relay was pretty hot so I changed that again and it seemed to be working for a while. Now I have an alternator issue. So I’ll be changing that out and see where things land.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 1500- Fuel pump priming