2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange no start condition

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:19 PM
dtom4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange no start condition

96 Ram 2500 Magnum 5.9 160K miles. Truck has mostly been sitting the last couple of years but started and driven occassionally. Started off cranking but was dificult to start. Graduated to cranking only for a split second when you turn the key then nothing. No lights, instruments, nothing. After resting for a while will do the same thng again, crank for a second then nothing. If I try again immediately will get nothing until it rests before going through the same routine again. Checked voltage at the battery and was getting 12.7V. Bought a new battery anyway and cleaned all the contacts. Thought maybe bad ground so ran a jumper cable from battery to engine block. Still no change.
However when I put a battery charger on it and give it a 10-200 amp jump the solinoid will click rapidly but will do nothing without the boost.

I'm starting to think its the starter but don't want to throw parts at it. Any suggestions on where to look next would be appreciated.

Dave

Old 05-22-2024, 05:29 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Are you STILL getting no lights/no instruments even with the new battery?

If so, this is NOT starter

Old 05-23-2024, 05:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Yea, I would clean both the posts and the inside the battery terminals. You have a bad connection.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:28 AM
kevinb70
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check the voltage at the little wire at the starter when cranking. remove and get autozone to test the starter if you got +12V (would be lower if the starter was actually turning). no point in starter testing if you don't get voltage at the solenoid
if you don't get voltage at the starter, jumper terminal 30 and 87 to see if the starter spins.
this will give you a rough idea of which direction to trace down your fault... toward the ignition/security or toward the starter

Quick Reply: Strange no start condition