2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Shocks STUCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 02:44 AM
Courage
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Shocks STUCK!!

Hey guys, I'm trying to change my shocks. I decided to start with my fronts. I've removed all the bolts and the shock tower, and they won't come out. They are stuck on the bottom. I have spent over 6 hours beating and prying on them. They wiggle, and I can get them probably 1 cm up, but not further. I talked to a mechanic friend, and he said it just takes brute prying force. I must not be strong enough lol. Any ideas? Thinking of calling a local shop in the morning for a quote on how much to replace the fronts. Anything to try before admitting defeat and paying a professional?

Old 06-21-2024, 07:48 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

A photo or two of your issue would be helpful to see where your issue is.

If I remember correctly, the front shock has a kinda foot at the bottom and two bolts that hold it in-place. If you can bring the shock down just a bit and rotate that foot with some pliers, it should come out from the top.

I'm assuming this is a 4WD truck?

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-21-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

2WD or 4WD? If it's 4 see if you can get something under it and pry it out.

Old 06-21-2024, 05:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Courage
Hey guys, I'm trying to change my shocks. I decided to start with my fronts. I've removed all the bolts and the shock tower, and they won't come out. They are stuck on the bottom. I have spent over 6 hours beating and prying on them. They wiggle, and I can get them probably 1 cm up, but not further. I talked to a mechanic friend, and he said it just takes brute prying force. I must not be strong enough lol. Any ideas? Thinking of calling a local shop in the morning for a quote on how much to replace the fronts. Anything to try before admitting defeat and paying a professional?

If I remember correctly, there should be one nut at the top and two bolts at the bottom. Remove the top nut, then the bottom bolts and it should drop out the bottom. I don't remember removing the shock tower on my '96 1500 4X4.

Old 06-21-2024, 05:57 PM
Courage
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for not giving the details on my truck. I was REALLY tired. Yep, 4x4 2500. Thanks to whoever suggested twisting it. My dad had the same idea, and he pried on a piece of firewood set on the frame with a 6' pry bar looped through a section of chaid attached to the top of the shock. While he did that, I twisted it back and forth with a big pipe wrench. We finally got the passenger side out. Still have the drives side to do though. I sure hope the new shocks go in easier than the old ones came out! I'll try to take some picks so yall can see what we ended up doing.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 06:57 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Courage
Hey guys, sorry for not giving the details on my truck. I was REALLY tired. Yep, 4x4 2500. Thanks to whoever suggested twisting it. My dad had the same idea, and he pried on a piece of firewood set on the frame with a 6' pry bar looped through a section of chaid attached to the top of the shock. While he did that, I twisted it back and forth with a big pipe wrench. We finally got the passenger side out. Still have the drives side to do though. I sure hope the new shocks go in easier than the old ones came out! I'll try to take some picks so yall can see what we ended up doing.

I took some trash out and looked under my truck while I was at it. The top tower does come off. I think I used a long screwdriver to pop the bottom loose. Make sure you don't lose that tagged nut. Dirt and rust build up will make them hard to get out. Clean out the area where the bottom goes and pu some dielectric grease on the sides of the shock bottom so it slides right in.

Old 06-22-2024, 03:57 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a similar issue with my truck. Left front shock lower bolt had come loose, so I took impact gun and made sure it's tight. Years later, when it was time to change the shocks, I realized that when the shock was loose, inner sleeve had made room to the tabs where the bolt goes through. So when I tightened the bolt with the impact, it bend the tabs towards the shock eye. It took quite some time to bend them out, as there were not much room to work.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (06-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Front Shocks STUCK!!