2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 5.2 crank no start

Search this Thread

Old Today | 02:59 AM
Zulu
|
Default 2001 5.2 crank no start

long story short, i was driving and it was running fine, out of no where it started running rough and died, wouldn't restart for a few minutes then restarted. drove it about 30 feet, shut off and wouldn't start again.
not sure if it matters but the night before this happened, i was using it to pull a stuck vehicle out of sand. the truck was beat on quite a bit that night but it's an old work truck i barely use. it drove 30 miles when we were done and didn't skip a beat.
the truck has been down for almost a year and i haven't really had time to mess with it.

i've checked fuel pressure when it went down originally and it was up to spec (can't remember what it read , it's been so long)
spark plugs are new
the asd relay is good.
it has zero codes.
replaced crank position sensor
replaced cap, rotor and ignition coil (didn't do wires yet but the old ones looked alright)

the truck won't even start if i give it ether, it sounds like it wants to hit but just will not.
i'm completely stumped at this point.

Old Today | 08:00 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Have you verified spark at the plug, by either pulling one out or using an inline tester?

Old Today | 08:09 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

When it doesn't start you need to see if it's getting spark. A timing light on the coil wire is a good way to see if it's getting consistent spark. If you can put it on a high end scanner you can see if it's not getting a consistent signal from either the cam or crank sensor. As for fuel pressure you should see 49 psi as soon as you turn the key to on.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.2 crank no start