2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

metal flakes in tranny pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006 | 12:26 AM
clark84
|
Rookie
Default metal flakes in tranny pan

I have a 98 4X4 with a junk tranny. It all started when i was driving with cruise on at about 55-60 and my rpms started redlining and i ended up on the side of the road going nowhere. then it would go 15-20 feet every time i shut it off and started it back up. I changed the filter and fluid(not flushed) and noticed some build up of metal flakes on the magnet and on the bottom of the pan. So, I assumed that the problem was the filter was plugged with metal flakes. 2 months later the same thing happend. So I changed the filter and fluid again hoping it would work Now when i start off from a complete stop it doesnt shift into second until it hits 3-4 grand and when it does it slams into gear. So now im afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of not making it to where im going. Is the best bet to get another tranny or rebuild the one I have? Ive been told that once there is metal floating around that it probablly damaged the whole unit. Also is my tourqe converter shot? does it need replacing too?

Old 01-11-2006 | 01:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: metal flakes in tranny pan

i'd get it rebuilt, and i'd give www.apsprecision.com a call and see what a mild build would run you. they have some pretty tough trannys from what I have heard from others

Old 01-11-2006 | 04:24 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

Either way you go, new tranny or rebuild, definitely replace the torque converter. It's loaded witht he same junk that was in the filter and such, it'll trow it right back in a new tranny. Alos, have someone use a machine to flush the cooler, if you have one, it's really tough to get all the junk out of those too.

I just went through replacing a tranny in my '98 CTD.

Old 01-11-2006 | 06:17 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Metal In Tranny....OOHHH Not GOOOOD! Time to fix for sure. Unless you like exercise! From what you described, your tranny and torque converter is JUNK! I would go to that website Steve00 suggested, or find a reliable local tranny shop that has experience with Dodge trannies. Ask them about putting in a shift kit when they rebuild the old one. I've heard they make a big difference, and once mine runs out of warranty I will probably get one put in mine. DO NOT take it to the dealer unless you have powertrain warranty left. They've rebuilt tranny and replaced converter and valve body twice on mine and I still don't think it's right....

Old 08-03-2006 | 11:19 PM
clark84
|
Rookie

-well i put in a new trann, TC and rebuilt the front driveshaft. 2 grand later it seems to be running like a top.

Quick Reply: metal flakes in tranny pan