2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mandrel Pipes vs. "crush" pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:10 AM
cableguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mandrel Pipes vs. "crush" pipes

Hey guys, follow me here for a minute. I want to put a cat-back dual exhaust on the ol Ram. Now I know that mandrel bent pipes will flow better than the muffler shop crush bent pipes. But at this level (this level being otherwise stock), does it really matter? The reason I ask is b/c I could get a system directly from Flowbastard for five bills and change, or I can get a system off the net from a muffler shop, using a Flowmaster muffler and their tubes for lees than two plus shipping. I'm just looking for opinions here.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Mandrel Pipes vs. "crush" pipes

The difference between crush bent and mandrel bent isn't real noticeable, unless you're going to be racing your truck...or using it for something where everything MUST flow perfectly.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:19 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what rom said.... if your runnin pro street or pro mod...then you wont be able to tell.. they advertise the mandrel or crush b/c they can squeeze every penny they can out of the same cost of the pipe bending..just different machines...rm-indy would prolly be only one to bennefit of mandrel since he runs his truck down the strip more often than i change my boxer shorts.... im sure theres evidence to back the fact that madrel flow better... but after outweighing the cost to practicality ratio... wel.. u can do the math

Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

Hi I bought my mandrel bent pipes from my local Car Quest auto parts store, I think they were made by maramount .and bought a flow master muffler. fits like a glove. and the new pipes hang off the factory hangers too.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There has been vast amounts of ink wasted on the subject of mandrel bending versus form bending.

A 'crush' bent tubing elbow can flow as well as a mandrel bent one if:
1. the radius of the curve is made slightly larger
2. the diameter of the pipe is made larger

The general public who hasn't any aerodynamic education won't understand this,
but the little ripples on the inside of a curved pipe elbow can actually make the gas flow thru it easier.

There are many surprises in the field of fluid mechanics.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
1996ramkid
Professional

summit racing makes a cheap madreal bent pipe kit without a muffler and i think it's like $80 i got it for christmas with there turbo muffler and the pipes pretty good.

Quick Reply: Mandrel Pipes vs. "crush" pipes