2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hope this isnt a stupid question about code readers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 AM
rogerdoger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hope this isnt a stupid question about code readers

saw a code reader on sale,

am thinking of picking it up, but i have a question.

if the check engne light is on, obviously there is a code to be read correct?

now what if the check engine light isnt on, but your having problems with your truck (LIKE ME)(truck has hard time starting when warm)

if I plug a code reader into the plug under my dash, will something come on there??

I tried what is written in other posts, you know, about turning ur key on off for a few times and seeing if anything is said in the digital odometer, i have tried trip, and total milage, but nothing seems to work.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Default RE: hope this isnt a stupid question about code readers

there is a possibility that there is a code in the pcm, but not major enough to set off the check engine light.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

what your talkin about is a diagnostic reader... a plane jane code reader wont read out your engine diagnostic readings... i think you can only get this done at the stealership... personally..if you have a digital odometer,,, buying a code reader is useless... with the resources of a haynes or chiltons and this website,,, buying a code reader is a waste,, especially if you REALLY need to get it read,, yuo can go to autozone and theyll read for free!! and clear them too... if you need to see your engine running on a computer screen ,,, talk to the techys at your local stealership... theyll do it..and as far as i know... the read outs arent in plane english iehter...i hear you gotta be trained up good adn right to be able to trasnlate the readings that are coming of the diag machine...

there is a way to hook up from ODBII to your laptop and download your current readings and signals from your truck... just google laptop ODBII reader .. or something along that line... youll spend around 300 for a cable and software...

if you descibe what your engine or truck is acting up... we might be able to help you (we as in the sweet fellas here at dodgeforum.com)

Old 01-13-2006, 03:46 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

well as i said before it starts fine in the morning or if it is completely cold...

but if i have it up to reg temp, and turn it off the next time i start it up is cranks normaly (fast not slow like a dead battery) but for a long time........ then starts up runs as if it is is really rich or sputters just for a second, or until i rev it up then its like normal

If i press the gas, while it is cranking, it does not make a difference.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 AM
shott8283

make a new thread with your problem .. itll get more attention

Old 01-13-2006, 03:56 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

i was reading a post on a nother site by a guy that had the same prob as me, but with a toyota,,, he replaced his EFI relay

and it fixed the prob

would that be in the fuse box under the hood?

Old 01-13-2006, 04:46 AM
shott8283

yea pretty much any major relay or fuze component will be in the box in the hood...just he basic stuff will be in the cab box....worht a shot... 12v relay like that one maybe run you 10 bux.. usually start with the cheepest troubleshooting and work your way up till its fixed...

Quick Reply: hope this isnt a stupid question about code readers