2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weired whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:41 AM
rmc5043
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weired whistling noise

heres a question i have a 96 5.9 and i think the motor is about shot i but about a quart of oil per fill up at least ....so im looking for a motor if any one knows any sites......?but that is besides the point when my truck has been run aobut 7 miles normally and i stop at a stop sign my truck makes a reall high pitch whistling noise that is really annoying and i dont know what it could be ive check the belt and replaced the power steering pump and the automatic tensioner and none f that stuff worked and i cant figure out what the sound is when it starts whistiling and i look under the hood the noise is so loud that i cdant tell where it is coming from sometimes it sounds like it comes from the right side but then sometime it sounds like it is coming from the center..... i am also looking for some performance parts i can add on after the new motor in the range of 1- 450 what could i get that would increase performance? i also want it to sound obnoxsiously loud i already have dual exaust that is pretty loud at about 2500rpms but i want more?

Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 AM
JWB
Default RE: weired whistling noise

Check the Water Pump or the Alternator Bearings, if either of those two don't create that noise it might be time for a new truck.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: weired whistling noise

This could easilly be the little gasket that goes on top of the TB betweenthe air cleaner. If that gasket is gone or broke like mine was, it makes a high pitch noise.

Also Magnun motors are prettry strong...just because its using oil doesn't mean its shot. My money is on the plenum gasket being bad, thus the oil consumption.

To check your plenum look down the TB into your intake manifold. Get a flashlight and see if theres alot of oil down there. Get a mirrior to and lookin all the corners, it can hide. A small film of oil is normal, it comes in through the crank case breather. But check that gasket and the plenum.

Quick Reply: weired whistling noise