2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clicking during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
brute98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking during acceleration

Hey everybody, new forum member here with a strange problem:

When I give the truck hard acceleration or if I'm going above 100km/h sometimes I hear a random clicking sound from the engine/trans area. If I keep this up, the check engine light flashes at me about 15 times then goes away if I drive gently again. People I've talked to have suggested it's detonation, some say it's an exhaust/02 issue, one mechanic even said it could be the trans. The performance of the engine is not affected by this, but the sound is unsettling. I appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

It's a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L, 183 000km

Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM
rmc5043
Default RE: Clicking during acceleration

i have the same clicking sound and when my check iengine light starts blinking my rpms start dropping no matter how hard im on the gas... so it sounds like we both neeed some help. id really like to know what it is?

Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

If your CE light flashes its storing some codes most likely.

With the truck off turn the key to on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds (do NOT start it) and wait a few seconds. Since you have a 98+ it should come up with the codes in the odometer window. Something like P0134. Write them all down, when its does it should either just go blank of say something like "P DONE"

Post the codes on here

Old 01-19-2006, 11:32 PM
LagunaS3

Sounds sorta like an exhaust leak...check all your exhaust manifold bolts.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 PM
brute98
Professional

I tried the keydance and it doesn't post any codes. My other Dodge used to do this but I heard that on 98+ you need to get an aftermarket code reader. What's strange is that sometimes the light will flash a few times and remain on (while driving harder than usual). Goes away after a few starts.

LagunaS3
Makes sense, the manifolds are rusted out and probably due for a change. I hope those bolts aren't known to break-off because I had a really bad experience with bolts breaking at the head (but it was a GM). The fact that the light goes away usually indicates exhaust from my experience (EGR, 02 or something). I just don't want to spend a fortune on exhaust work only to have the clicking remain.

Someone said it sounded like valve lash, and I don't like the sound of that. Could the sound be related to the timing? Would a sound clip help?

Quick Reply: Clicking during acceleration