2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Rating??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Rammo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Rating??

I don't have an owner's manual and am trying to figure out the tow rating for my truck. Anyone know what the tow ratings are for a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 - has a 318, 5 speed, 3.92 gears and the towing package?

Also - does the tow rating mean that's as much as you should tow or that's how much you can tow comfortably/safely. Looking at buying a used travel trailer and trying to figure out how large and heavy I should go.......I live at 7000 foot elevation too, dont' know if that matters.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tow Rating??

Your 2000 should have around 85-8800lbs max allowable, not safe capacity. IMHO I wouldnt go over 6k lbs myself with a 1500. Always best to have more than you need rather than not enough. Brakes will be an issue if you go 4klbs plus, best to upgrade to a crossdrilled or slotted rotor and carbon metalic pads as well as an electronic brake controller for the trailer.

At 7k' elevation your truck will be seriously lacking in towing power. I would add a few good performance modifications like cold air intake, 50mm tb and headers to improve hp/trq.

Quick Reply: Tow Rating??