2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jeep guy needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Big_Luke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep guy needs some help

Hey all,

I have a 97 TJ that I'm looking to do a V8 swap in. I figured I would ask you guys this since yall probably know more about these motors. I found a 94 Jeep 5.2 for 100 bucks (I think it was a good deal).

I have a 5.2 long block out of a 94 Cherokee and intake/fuel rail/injectors/CPS/distributor of a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9.

The guy was doing a swap and wanted to keep all his old stuff for his computer.

First question is, will these electronics work with a OBDI computer or will they only work with a OBDII computer.

I would think I would rather get a OBDI computer and not run EGR to make thinks simple. Does anyone know if any of my Jeep 2.5 emissions stuff (charcoal canister, smog pump, ect) would work with a OBDII computer?

Another question is did they do any major updates to the engine after 92 (better flowing heads/intake/electronics/etc)

Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Big_Luke
Default RE: Jeep guy needs some help

also, I just found out that the electronics/intake I have came out of a Ram I think. But the long block is a 94 5.2 Cherokee.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM
livinginh
Veteran

Ok, you kind of jumped around a bit so hard to follow. If I am reading this right, you have the long block 318 out of a 94 Cherokee, which should be a OBDI computer setup, they did alot of changing in those years, but should be able to tell right off by looking under the hood of the 94.

If you want to use all the stuff off your 97 and 98, then you will have to use the OBDII computer setup. Most of the stuff off your 2.5, should work as long as the part numbers cross over or they will actually bolt up, remember going from a 4cyl to a V8, your gonna run into alot of mixed up and fabrication through this whole deal. Check some online Jeep web pages, you should get better info when it comes to the swap.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Big_Luke

Sorry, I did kind of jump around there.

Yes, the block/heads/brackets are from a 94 Cherokee 5.2l. The electronics (intake/throttle body/fuel rail/injectors/CPS/distributor) I have are from a 98 or 99 Dodge Ram.

Will these electronics work with an OBDI computer? Or would it be better to go with an OBDII computer and see if any of my Jeep emmissions stuff work?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

As far as I know you will need to get whatever comp they used for the '94 5.2L, which is an ODB-I. That could get pretty funky using an ODB-I engine with all ODB-II components. But then again maybe it is a possibility that any '96 or newer 5.2L PCM will work.

I would recomend finding a good Jeep Forum and asking them [&:]

I dunno what Trans and T-Case they put in '97 TJ's but your gonna wanna make sure that they will bolt up to a 5.2L

Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Koldkut
Rookie

check out jeeps-offroad.com, search around a bit.

I have played with those 2.5l engines. your AX-5 tranny will not last long with that 5.2....neither will that dana 35 axle.

find the engine harness and computer for the engine, that is the only way that engine will run, the jeep PCM won't cut it.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Big_Luke

I'm planning on finding an NP435 and upgrade the stock NP231. as far as axles, I'm planning on upgrading to a 9 inch or Dana 60 if I can get one cheap enough. I know the PCM out of my Jeep won't work, I'm more wondering if any of the other electronics will work (oxygen sensor, charcoal canister and other sensors.)

Quick Reply: Jeep guy needs some help