2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lets talk 8.0L's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Blackflag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk 8.0L's

I'm pretty new to this board, so heres a little intro before we get to the meat of the thread. My name is Sean and I am only 17 but my stepdad has always had a 1995 dodge 1500. Recently I picked up a 1995 2500 with the V10. Its a standard cab, standard bed no horseplay type of truck. But, like any normal person I am looking for more.

I have been searching around and cant seem to find a place that sells parts for the 8L. Should I be able to pickup a Mopar perfomance chip at a local dealer or is there a certain place I have to go to. From what I have read this is the best bang for the buck chip, nothing extreme but it still packs a little more power. I am also looking for a place to get the following:
-Headers
-Cat system
-FIPK intake
-Throttle Body

Do you guys have any other suggestions that dont involve engine internals such as cams and heads? From what I have read the biggest problem these engines have performance wise is breathing. Also are there any recommended bedliners? I was thinking a spray in but I have heard that people have problems with bodyshops doing work after the spraying, I also have a dent in the top of the bed that would have to be dealt with before a spray in, should I just go with a drop in for now and then when I have the money for bodywork, spray in bedliner, and paint go for it?

Lastly, I was thinking about putting a single bar rollcage (functional) and trying some folding jump seats into it facing out back. The law in CA is that in order to have such a setup it has to abide by the federal safety laws, but there arent any federal safety laws about the bed of a truck, Im not going to be hauling anything more than some BMX bikes, or ATV's, or dirt bikes so the space isnt an issue.

Im all ears on this one...

Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lets talk 8.0L's

personally it go with the spray in bedliner the dropins tend to scuff all the paint out of the box of your truck that and there really slipprey, that and if you do get the body work dont and get a spray in you have a dropin that u have no use for. if you go with the mopar chip i belive you half to run preimeum gas whitch can be expencive. i dont know about getting parts for the 8.0L ive never realy looked but im shure there out there. theres my 2 sents worth lol

Old 01-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Blackflag

Thanks for the reply! The bed is already nice and scuffed up because there was one previously. And as far as gas goes, I have no problems, my other car is a 59 ford. Similar gas mileage, and premium all the time. Sorry I forgot to mention those things earlier.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Blackflag

I'm pretty new to this board, so heres a little intro before we get to the meat of the thread. My name is Sean and I am only 17 but my stepdad has always had a 1995 dodge 1500. Recently I picked up a 1995 2500 with the V10. Its a standard cab, standard bed no horseplay type of truck. But, like any normal person I am looking for more.

I have been searching around and cant seem to find a place that sells parts for the 8L. Should I be able to pickup a Mopar perfomance chip at a local dealer or is there a certain place I have to go to. From what I have read this is the best bang for the buck chip, nothing extreme but it still packs a little more power. I am also looking for a place to get the following:
-Headers
-Cat system
-FIPK intake
-Throttle Body

Do you guys have any other suggestions that dont involve engine internals such as cams and heads? From what I have read the biggest problem these engines have performance wise is breathing. Also are there any recommended bedliners? I was thinking a spray in but I have heard that people have problems with bodyshops doing work after the spraying, I also have a dent in the top of the bed that would have to be dealt with before a spray in, should I just go with a drop in for now and then when I have the money for bodywork, spray in bedliner, and paint go for it?

Lastly, I was thinking about putting a single bar rollcage (functional) and trying some folding jump seats into it facing out back. The law in CA is that in order to have such a setup it has to abide by the federal safety laws, but there arent any federal safety laws about the bed of a truck, Im not going to be hauling anything more than some BMX bikes, or ATV's, or dirt bikes so the space isnt an issue.

Im all ears on this one...
The PCM you can get from here: http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html Apparently the 4x2 and 4x4 PCMs are the same (they have the same part# [>:]) so you'd want the California one...if your truck is originally from Cali that is. And as mentioned, you must run premium.

- Headers
Mopar performance headers. These are pretty much the ONLY headers that will work, since the 94/95 models had narrower frame rails. The availability of these varies. Check with your local dealer.

- Cat-Back
Gibson makes a decent setup. Mopar performance also has a setup, though I think theirs are made by Gibson anyway. Nothing you do to these trucks will make them sound real decent. They always end up sounding like a V6 on roids, which fools a lot of people until you pour on the pedal. [8D]

- FIPK
K&N...they're on ebay all the time. $230ish plus shipping.

- Throttlebody
Fastman! http://www.thefastman.com/

As far as bedliners, I have rhinoliner in mine. It's strong, but hard on the knees when you have to crawl around in it.

And as for the jump seats, I'm pretty sure that's a no-no. Unless you're offroad, you will most likely get stopped for having people riding in them.

I know you said no engine internal mods, but most V10 owners have said that the Mopar Performance camshaft has been their best mod for the money. Also, the intake manifolds and heads could benefit from some porting, because these motors (as you already know) don't breathe well.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 AM
Blackflag

Its good to hear that I should be able to pick up some parts locally for once. I got the whole jump seat idea from this section of the CA vehicle code.

Pickup Trucks (Vehicle Code Section 23116)Drivers are prohibited from transporting any person in or on the back of a pickup or flatbed motor truck; any person riding in or on the back of the truck also can be cited.

Consequences: $50 fine plus penalty assessments* and one point on the driving record.

Exceptions: This section does not apply if the person is secured with a restraint system which meets federal safety standards (no federal safety standard exists for anchorage of belts in cargo areas) or in an emergency response situation bya public agency. There is no exemption for passengers riding within an enclosed camper or camper shell.

Quick Reply: Lets talk 8.0L's