2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do it yourself CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 AM
mattyge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it yourself CAI?

Hey everybody,

I know this topic has probably been covered a hundred times but I have a specific question that I couldn't find an awnser to. I want to make my own Cold Air Intake for my truck. I want to buy a universal K&N filter but i don't know what size or shape. I don't want to small and I want it to fit. I'm going to build the intake tubing out of exhast pipe because i don't like the look of abs. Which brings me to the other question, on the throttle body now sits the stock intake box but when i replace it how am I going to match up the tubing to the throttle body. The K&N CAI kit comes with what they call an "air hat" that sit on top but I was wondering if I could make my own. And just a couple more q's, where should i locate the filter, where the K&N one goes? and do i have to cut a hole in the rubber shield? Lastly there is a tube that goes into the stock airbox and it really dirties the filter. I think it's the crankcase vent but if I replace the airbox where do I route the tube. I know some intakes have an inlet that you connect the hose to but i don't want all that air going into the engine un-filtered.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:26 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do it yourself CAI?

do a serch of CAI s there was one not too lone ago that had a site where you could buy the air hat cheap the guy had pics of his he made too

Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 AM
REDKNOB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do it yourself CAI?

Check this site out before you go butchering innocent exhaust pipe.

http://www.powerflowracing.com/1home.html

And do a search for pics of off_road_teacher, (I think he is the one) he made one himself
very inexpensively.