2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N CAI

so ive been wanting to get a little bit more HP and a little bit more mpg out of my 5.2- and the K&N CAI keeps looking like the best option- but whats bothering me is the $200+ they cost- are they really worth it?? thats about 4 tanks of gas! anyways any opinions on whether its worth it or not would be appreciated

Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K&N CAI

If ur looking for increases it wont do crap on a stock motor.....to many bottlenecks, TB-intake-exhaust but hey it will sound good.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with a K&N or TruFlow drop-in filter first. The CAI helps more on top end, which you probably rarely reach. 2nd, make sure you have a nice 3" single all the way or single in / dual out exhaust system with a "performance" muffler. (Flowmaster or something close) This will help the motor "breathe" better. Then you can upgrade to a Fastman TB, power programmer, better wires and ignition, etc. The CAI would come after all this if you still want it. The other stuff will help more in the short term to get you on your way....

Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not expect any MPG improvement from any cold air intake.