2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone got a how to on body work? need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:00 AM
bansheenut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone got a how to on body work? need help

nope only place it has rust is right above the fender.... so you guys say to cut the rust spot out and spot weld a new piece in and do it that wa.... sounds reasonable... ... how do i clear the rust out from inside the fender if there is any?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is an idea i dident price it out or anything but if its just the one fender what about replacing it with a jobber one your gonna have to have it painted anyways wen you fix it and i have seen them cheap a while ago but like i sed i havent priced it out. just a thought anyways

Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 AM
motodog1

yea i used bubble gum and some duck tape on my fener and the duck tape matched so well that theres no need fer piant and i used the bubble gum(about 4 packs the neighbor kids chewed fer me)and i used it as backin so the tape dont come loose when it gets wet and its helps add stenght also when im doing like 120mph on my way to my babysitters.while im here why does my truck get bad mpg?

Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
bansheenut
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ryans590

here is an idea i dident price it out or anything but if its just the one fender what about replacing it with a jobber one your gonna have to have it painted anyways wen you fix it and i have seen them cheap a while ago but like i sed i havent priced it out. just a thought anyways
sorry if this sounds dumb or anything... but what is a jobber fender... again im pritty new to the truck scene and deff new to the body scene..... where can i get one... and its on both sides but one of worse than the other.... do they sell aftermarket fenders that kind flair out.... this way i dont need brush guards when i get wide rims... how much do they run for

Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
1996ramkid
Professional

fiberglass is fine for a fiberglass body but it doent mix with steal, you should do it write once so you only have to do it once and the only way is to cut and replace with new metal. if you just fill the whole it will end up the same way only worse in a year or 2.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bansheenut

ORIGINAL: ryans590

sorry if this sounds dumb or anything... but what is a jobber fender... again im pritty new to the truck scene and deff new to the body scene..... where can i get one... and its on both sides but one of worse than the other.... do they sell aftermarket fenders that kind flair out.... this way i dont need brush guards when i get wide rims... how much do they run for

a jobber part in an non OEM part that you use to replace there usally cheaper (in price and sometimes quality) because there non OEM but in thise cace it shouldent matter if you do go that rout make shure its from a good distributer

Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

ORIGINAL: bansheenut

nope only place it has rust is right above the fender....
sorry pal, but if you think that's the only place there's rust then you're in for a surprise

also, there are no aftermarket boxsides produced for 2nd gen dodge that I know of

Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 AM
grandmazer

Ordered my patch panel from rustrepair.com I didn't get a pict of the old panel. Wish I did so you could see all the rust that was on it inside ond out. It only had a small hole that went all the way through but had alot on the inside that was gona come through soon..

When doing the welding I spot welded the whole thing till it was completly filled in, jumping around the panel to help prevent warping. Making sure all holes were filled. Then I used a little Duraglass over the weld to be certain it was sealed up. A little mud then some primer.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

thats nice work!!!

i was looking around on the site he mentioned anf those are the jobber parts i was talking about they have alot of stuff there worth checking out here is the link right to 2nd gen ram stuff http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_pan....htm?r=ru&p=sm

Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 AM
grandmazer

Thanks. It was my first time doing that kinda body work. I have painted for years in the body shop bussiness but never got in to sheet metal work. The truck is now in the process of being prepped for paint. Going back to white. Using Glasurit primer and paint.

Quick Reply: anyone got a how to on body work? need help