2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ok, any Ideas People?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:32 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, any Ideas People?

Ok right now my moms demoing a late 90s 1500 Laramie Extended Cab with the Magnum V8. The thing has a problem with running apparently because well it dies constantly.
The thing stops running while moving. It barely made it in the driveway tonight. I was thinking it could be a bad battery or ulternator. Maby even something to do with the PCM. But I havent had time to go outside and run codes yet but everytime it dies right after it goes out every, and I mean every dummy light comes on. Thats what made me think it might be the PCM. Oh well what do you think gang?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:45 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Ok, any Ideas People?

just dies when cruising down the road? maybe a fuel pump problem... thinking that if the fuel pump is shorting out and failing at inconsistant times... next time you get a chance get them codes for us... thatll help wicked big time....

i need to stop using the word wicked...

Old 02-08-2006, 02:58 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah your right shot that is some "wicked" typing lol

anyways i dont think its your bat or alt if look at the charge gage if its real low or real high (10 or below or highrer than 18) then your alt could be bad however if it was ither of these you would half to boost it if it was dead enuf to kill the moter and once you took the bost of it would dye or soon after

Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

dying while driving comes from a couple of things... lack of fuel or spark. the fuel pump & regulator handle the flow and pressure and the crank position sensor and cam position sensors handle the timing of the spark (tells the PCM where the TDC for each cylinder is).

There are 2 relays that could be a problem 1 being the fuel pump relay, and the other being the Auto Shutdown relay. in the 7 years i've had chrysler products, neither of those 2 relays have ever failed and I have never heard of anyone mentioning that they had a bad relay causing any problems.

hope this helps...

Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same experience but not in a Ram. The car would just die and all the idiot lights would be on. It ended up being fuel sensor relay. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Ok, any Ideas People?