2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shes all done!! check the pics AMP DRAW UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default shes all done!! check the pics AMP DRAW UPDATE

:::::::::::::i appologize for not having any pics while i was working on the truck,,, the camera decided to crap out and had to take it into to bestbuy to have it sent off and repaired...just picked it up last night... gotta love that extended warrenty!!!::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

well got the truck done last night...toook WAY longer then i projected... the garage i do my work out of is my uncles and he lives 25mins away... kinda a pain if you forget to bring something that day...along with that i had to wait for summit to send me the correct spark plug wires... i order the wrong ones... anyway

what i did:

Hughes plenum fix... really easy... cut and drive fix... only problem i had is when i got out the old intake gaskets... the rear one has the little tabs that stick into the block for line up purposes... well the old gasket tab was broke off in there and made it a pain to ensure that the gasket stayed put when i was putting it on... i had to use small dabs of permatex to make it sit still... i hope it stayed put!

MSD ignition system..... 6A box and a blaster3 coil along with MSD 32189 wires and a mopar perf. cap and rotor... stayed with the same plugs b/c they are only 4 months old..champion truck plugs... i just gapped them from the stock 35 to 40 to help with the bigger longer spark... i might change them out soon b.c they will eat up faster with the 6a... i used the accell harness so i could have a quick disconnect and left the oem coil in place incase the 6a or coil goes.

elec fan... this was the most PITA b/c im not metal fabricator...and not the greatest welder either... used inch by inch angle for the frame and some sheetmetal (cant remember the thickness) for cover the gaps between the frame and the fans... got hte fans from ebay..30 bux a peice...pull 2700 cfm a peice... so a total of 5400 cfm .. i think that should be plenty!!! only draw back is that fans pulla BUTTTLOAD of amps... i tested it and they pull damn near close to 75amps at startup and during running they pull around 40amps... startup..if i didnt have a 136 amp alt i dont think the truck would run with them... im thinkin of upgrading to something like 240 if i can find one at a good price...and if anyone makes them for that size... anyone got any links or sources for upgraded alts? i lined the frame with some hightemp elec tape so that the metal doesnt rub on the actualy rad...i tried to use a weather stripping but i afterwards i didnt ahve enough clearence to bolt it up... the fan assy weighs ALOT so i mounted it by letting it rest on the core support frame at the bottome then using the original mounting spots for the OEM shroud to hold it in place... damn sollid i must say!!!!.... i used a flexalite dial thermo to kick on the fans... and that controls a solid state seleniod from napa... sincei t draws a buttlaod i couldnt use the regulr 30/40 amp bosche relays i had laying around... i also had to use 8ga wire for power ... i fnished the frame with some duplicolor spray on truck bed liner... i love this tuff b/c it sticks to anything!!! less prepwork needed ... just wiped it down and sprayed 2 coats... this stuff woudl prolly spray on to butter and stick!

i must say that im not looking for any gains from the elec fans... mainly b/c my viscous fan was shot and seized and the fan would run at constant rpm all the time i decided to do the conversion... along with that i liked the idea of having all that room in there to be able to stand that and do my work... REALLY REALLY nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

results?????

well i noticed instantly that the plenum gasket fix was a gem...

also the msd system makes the motor purr like a kittin and it doenst bounce around all crazy like..

and the elec fans...well its too damn cold to have them kick on... along with my 180 deg thermo.. the temp sticks around a little bit above 130 mark..

with all the mods i dide along with the hypertech (a week ago) itll be a bit for a mpg check... but the butt dyno its all about it!!!! truck pulls hard up hills in OD... pretty much feels like im in 3rd the whole time actually being in OD...

noticed a SLIGHT ping going up a hill last night really hard...not sure why though... 180 stat and the new plenum gasket... i figured the plugs might be about ready to be replaced ..or being gapped at .40 might be too much... only noticed it once...after that it didnt do it...

also did a complete rad/cooling system flush and a motor flush..mainly b/c my dumbass didnt clean the motor off well enough and i dumped a liittle bit of sand down the lifter gally... i flushed it with some crap 5W-30 autozone brand oil and refilled it wil some vavoline syntech (what i normally run) hopefully that flushed all the crap out

any questions lemme know... after all the work i did this past week i feel like i left alot out

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/B0933308DA1544FE96D7A5E3712E5636.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/25007BB8209543BD81812BC25C2BA61C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/A05055C170104B328D77B73BB9476F8E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/407936A05FB54527B6560F4376DFF05B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/6DF1EDB2D4F045F4B76DB0350BCDCD15.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 PM
shott8283
Default RE: shes all done!! check the pics

oh... i also relocated the steering fluid cooler up to a more ideal spot... also b/c hopping in and out of the engine bay i was stepping on the lines...so i bent the lines out of the way and relocated the cooler ... i also went and got a universal coolant resavior and drilled it to hold the pump for the squirters for the washer fluid b.c the oem one was really big and couldnt get it to fit any where niceley... and still be able to keep the openness of the bay

[IMG]local://upfiles/3936/D68F5B5E2A234231B25D2AC42A8BBC12.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
1996ramkid
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice

Old 02-26-2006, 03:56 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

Great lookin' truck shott! I bet she's savin' gas and haulin' ***! Total cost?

Old 02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good shott!!! is that 76 amps starting both fans at the same time? is fo you might wanna out 1 on a 5 or10 sec delay thatway your not quits drawing so much power with em also do you have a 2nd batt? if not might be something you think about in the future i put a 2nd im mine and i ove it (i dont have the 136 amp alt thow) wen i would flick all my lights on before everything would dim for a cupple secends now it duzent. i put the 2nd batt through an isolation silinoid too that way if 1 bat goes dead (short,leave the lights on, play sterieo too long) i can flick a switch to turn on the silioid (its on a keyed sorce too to charge it while im driving) and shell start right up. but i really like the way the fans look in there they fit pirfict how many cfm doz the stock fan have?do you know?

Old 02-26-2006, 05:18 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Looks good. Where did you get the fans and for how much.

Also, slight ping could be from what we were talking about over on other thread if you still have your pcv valve hooked up

Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
shott8283

exactly my thoughts mopower... im thinking my pcv might be old and still allowing oil to get into the intake..especially the top part of the plenum instead of underneath it... im gonna run this tank through and then take the tb off peak in there to see how the fix is holding up..

right now im having a bitch of a time burping the coolant system...the temp gets around 200 when the stat opens up... its kinda on the slow side..not sure if theres a break in time with the stat or ir i got alot of air in the system still... i couldnt fill it all with the whole 20qts even with draining the block and the rad..it only took about 14 qts then start to overflow/. i started to park it on a hill and rev it up to get all the air up to the neck of the rad...

i might rewire the fans .. the true test will obviously be in the summer but both fans kicking on at the same time while im parked and at idel is really drawing alot of amps... im might rewire with 2 seperate electronic t-stat controllers and have one kick on if the temp on the rad inlet is at 185 (thats when the stat opens up is at 185 ... thats what the box said atleast...its a hypertech t-stat from summit) and then have a seperate controller at the outlet end of the rad monitering that temp and have that kick on if its still around 180ish or 190ish... so that way one will kick on first then the second will kick on later if needed...

i think if i can get the air out of the coolant system ill have a more exact way of setting my temps for the fans... outside of the truck the fans sound like a frickin turbojet engine... pretty cool... but when there off ALL you hear is exhaust...its nice!!! i got them to kick on twice today.. (its FRIGGEN cold out) both times i was parked and idle ... and not moving..

another thing is that i gotta still wire in some inline diodes for the fans... seeing that any DC motor that isnt being powerd and is spinning (say your fans arent kicked on but your driving the through are will be spinning the fans.) they turn into DC generators and have a chance of really messing with your alt and your wiring.. mainly b/c any alt produces AC current then is transformed into usuable 12V (normally 14) DC current through the regulator/rectifier... those differences in currents clashing against eachother could cuase serious electrical problems... prolly problems so far advanced that i couldnt handle fixing... for now they should be fine b.c they are through a wicked heavy duty relay (actually a starter seleniod for a gulfcart) and if the contacts are open that extra current is doing nothing... at full speed (this is a guestemate) the fans combind produce close to around 10vlts DC... at winde down (right after the power is cut off of the motors and they are free spinning from momentum) they steadly decrease from aroud 8volts to 0volts... witch is alot especially running just off of momentum...

these are the fans i got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-c...temZ8041245766

i was wrong about the cfm...these ones pull 2500 apeice... so i got a total of 5000...

gas mileage right now is actually worse then before... im thinking b/c the computer hasnt realerned the noramal operating temp yet so its dumping extra fuel in the injectors trying the warm up the motor since its at a 180deg isntead of the standard stock tstat...i figured itll take a while untill the computer learns itself the new op temp... atleast that what im hoping!!! there sholdnt be any reason why my mods would lower my mpg.. even the added drain on the alt (very rare b/c its hard to kick them on being so cold out) from the elc fans wouldnt be so much as to overcome the results i should get from the new mods.. its gonna be a tank or 2 untill i get a solid mpg check.

when i get a chance ill add up the total cost... i gotta get the reciepts.. i cant remember what i spent on some of the metal and odds and ends... a little more then i was projecting for the project... took longer and a little more money then what i told the wife... she wasnt happy..LOL

i was thinking an extra battery but that would add another load on the alt aswell..and after the cost of the isolater, wiring and battery i could have gotten an higher amp alt... i have always been an advocate of upgradeing alts (since i was installing ,,, especially for competition vehicles) id rather someone upgrade an alt before they start runnign stiffening caps... thats another possiblity too.. wire in some big caps to conteract the initial startup drain from the fans... when the fans are running at normal speed the draw isnt bad..its the initial startup im gonna try to help out.... hell i really dont ahve to do anything..the alt would be able to handle it..its just when i finish my stereosystem and the carputer is when the drain (constant) will/could overcome the normal output from the alt... id LOVE to get me a 420amp alt and just run an extra regulator... that would kick wicked ***... i could run a 240 welder off the truck...im gonna start looking around for one and prices ..

Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now you have got me thinking of the eletric fans the only thing im wondering is how much cfm the stock puts out? duz anyone know? the reson im wondering is if 2 fans are really needed or if i were to put 2 in and set the 2nd one 10-15 deg hotter or something like that. the reson im hung up on this is the fact i dont know if i have that much extra eletrical power to run 2 fans at 76 amps (i know thats only on start up but i think its still good to have that much avalabe incace they do start up at the same time) and i dont know if i wanna start upgrading the alt and everything for it. so if i could ifnd out how much the stock one puts out would tell me what i need if i do go to eletric

also i dont know if you know this or not shott but to hook a 2nd bat up isolated and you dont need one of those expencive isolstors (with a bunch of diods in them) all you need is a silioniod with a constant duty rating a bit highter than the output of your alt (mine is at 180 amps) then run your bat cables in and out of it and hook it to a keyed sorce to actavate it so wen the truck is on the silonoid is on and wen the truck os off so is the silonoid. i hooked up a switch from the aux bat aswell just incace the main bat is too dead wen the key is tuened on to switch the silonoid that way i can flick the switch on and no matter what it will flick on

but i really like the way it looks with the eletric fans!!!

Old 02-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Took you long enough you bum! Looks damn good though. Can you tell a diff with the plenum fixed?

Why didn;t you mod the keg why you were in there?

Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

On burping the coolant- on my boat I have to take the hose going to the thermo off, fill the motor, pour coolant into the hose, then slam it back on real quick. If I don't, the coolant system develops a vapor lock. I know that the thermo fitting is a real bitch to get to with the motor together, but maybe you could devise a procedure along the same lines by taking the top hose loose from the radiator hose.

My pcv is damn near brand new and I still was getting oil in the intake. Check out the pics on the valve cover thread. I'm pretty sure I fixed the problem for good.

Quick Reply: shes all done!! check the pics AMP DRAW UPDATE