2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 04:19 PM
zipper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues

OK...I found this site looking for a fix for my p1740 issue a few months back. I have replaced the garbage TC this past weekend and the truck drives great again. The old tc was crap and I was having some pretty major issues with the truck taking a lot to get it going. I could take my foot off the brake in drive and it wouldn't go anywhere without giving it gas. Also it would wind out prior to shifting. So far I have changed the tps and aic to fix some issues I was having with idle and highway driving. The tc converter has fixed the issue the winding and not moving in drive.

So here is my real concern I guess. If I am doing 70mph on the highway I am tacking 2800 to 3000 rpm steady. It seems like this is high. A little background is a 5.2 liter (shouldn't matter) and 3.55 gears (does matter). I kick off the overdrive and it tacks up another couple of hundred and then settles right back down to where it was with overdrive on. Is this rpm way too high for the overdrive being on and does anyone think my overdrive selenoid is just crap? Also the p1740 code still returns after clearing even after changing the TC.

Also my truck was manufactured 06/01 so it is too new for the tsb that is out.

Thanks...I am getting a little frustrated at this point.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:09 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran
Default RE: tranny issues

I have a 2001 4x4 with 5.2l 4.10 gears,I think mine does about 2,200 rpm @ 70 mph.sounds like your tc. is not locking. I had the p1740 last year and a new TC. fixed mine. you should be able to tell if it's locking.when you take-off with the OD. on, you should fell it shift 3 times,one of those is the TC.locking up

Old 02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
zipper

thanks for the reply. the tranny is working great with the new tc now except that it wont lock into overdrive. I may change the solenoids to see if that helps....$100 test i guess...

Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I have the same setup as you do - mine tachs 1900-2000rpms at 70 mph. My guess is - from experience - if your TC was junk it probably junked the tranny with it. The rpm range you put up is what mine runs with the od off. So that tells me that the od unit is probably burnt up which means the tranny needs a rebuild. I lost two trannies in mine in the first 60k miles - both times the converter took out the od unit and trashed the whole thing. If you are under 70k miles - take it to the dealer and see if it is under the powertrain warranty. It should be - the warranty goes with the VIN # on the truck. It will cost you $100 deductible if it's under warranty. If you have over 70k don't take it to the dealer to get it rebuilt, find a reputable shop that knows Dodge trannies or do a search on the forum for aftermarket options.....

The OD unit in these trannies is suspect - bad design. Info everywhere....

Quick Reply: tranny issues