2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash lights ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
jscherencel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights ...

I was trying to do the fog light mod, the one that keeps the fog lights on when you switch on the brights. Well, I ended up burning out one or both of the relays and haven't been able to pick up new relays. Now my fogs don't work. My problem is now my dash lighs don't work also. The ones that illuminate the speedo, tach, and all of the other ones in the cluster. Is there a relay or a fuse that I'm not seeing that I need to replace? So if anyone has had the same problems or even some good information. That would be much appreciated. I own a 98 5.9L 4x4. I also went and put a filter on my valve cover so its now a breather. I then went and moved the rubber hose that goes from the back of my K&N CAI to the stock breather, and added a small filter from PepBoys to the hose. i moved the hose and filter to the driver side fender and positioned it so it has fresh air all the time. Well now it pulls harder, moves quicker and doesn't seem to ping as much as it did, and the idle has smoothed out. I am thinking about doing the same thing to where the PCV valve is but I don't know if I will get a CEL. Sorry about not having pics to post but I don't own a digital camera. So sorry for the poor desciptions of what I did.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dash lights ...

check all your fuses not just ones that say something with lights, use a multymeter if you can sometimes they dont look blowen but they are also check all your relays if your ones for your lights are blowen then that might br as well what light lod were you doing? the one where you splice a wire in the fuse box? if so try this one instedits mine from the dodge ram faq thred at the top of the fourm page

anouther thing you can do is use a relay to turn on your low beam lights on wen the highbeam is on this way you dont run the risk of burning out your dimmer or headlight swirch because it is the relay switching not the dimmer or headlight switch and it only costs about 15$.

First get a relay and some wire
Second hook post 30 on the realy to the positive termnal on the battry
Third hook post 85 of the relay to a good ground
Fourth splice 86 into high beam
Fith splice 87 into low beam

and now your done and it is 100% legel at least in canada anyways (im not responcple if its not leagel where you are)if you want the option to trun this on and off(so your low beam isent always on wen highbeam is on) just hook a switch in the wire going fron 86 to highbeam and run it into your cab. this will help your low beam bulbs last longer. you can do it with a single bulb that has high and low in it too (2 headlights insted of 4) but you half to watch they dont get too hot. hope it helps

Old 02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
jscherencel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ryans590 for the ideas. I'm definately going to check all of the relays and fuses with a meter at least then I know for sure if they are burned up or not. Yeah I have only the signal headlights that go both high and low beam. I'm not a sparky but I'm gonna give that one a try too. That is another thing, I don't want to bake the lights if I have both of them running, but I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have single bulbs (1 on each side) and am running that setup i have drove all night mostley on high beam (so both hi and low on) without no probs so far and i have had it 6 months to a year i dont rember for shure wen i did it

Quick Reply: Dash lights ...