2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights and driving lights went dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 05:20 AM
garpoonga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights and driving lights went dead

This past week while on a trip I was driving with my highbeams and driving lights on. They are spliced together, when my lights went off. I turned off the switch and they came back on for a bit then went off again. Again I turned off the switch, turned them back on and turned off highbeams/driving lights and all was well all the way to the cabin. This happened last year while the vehicle was parked and I was using the headlights to work after about an hour or so they just turned off.

Any ideas ?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: headlights and driving lights went dead

If you wired the high beams and low beams to stay on at the same time your probably shorting something out. Doing that has been known to be a strain on the wiring, switchs, the actual light, and pretty much eerything since its not meant to be like that from the factory.

I would start by checking all your fuses and relay's. Then move into to checking wiring for a short and maybe een the switch itself even though it sound slike thats working fine.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 PM
garpoonga
Professional
Default RE: headlights and driving lights went dead

The lows go off when I turn on the highs, but I have the driving lights wired into the highbeam circut. I am thinking something over heated somewhere, I think I will disconnect the driving lights.

The truck had some lighting issues when I got it, the day lights are disabled and my high beam indicator does not work, so there are a few bugs to work out when the snow goes, if it goes, we got almost another foot lastnight.

I was thinking there might be some sort of thermal circuit breaker or something, but maybe the relay is just being stressed to much.

Quick Reply: headlights and driving lights went dead