2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

broke bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
ericd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke bolt

Help someone I was chaning my plenum gasket today and was torqing them down and a bolt broke what do I do????

Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran
Default RE: broke bolt

What do you mean? Did you strip it or did the bolt actually break? Or did you just wear out the head? If so, I'd just order another. There's alot of ways you can break it. Just need to know how you did it.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 PM
ericd

I was torqing the plenum bolt and the head broke off and is still in the intake manifold.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:28 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

So the bolt is in the manifold or the head. If it's the bolt, I'm assumin' you can't get 'er out? If so, I would try to get a shop to get it out. This kinda stuff can be tough. If ya got any spare magnets, those might work.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:32 PM
ericd

Right, I was puttting the plenum pan back on and was tightning them to book specifications and the head of one snapped off. Leaving the threads inside the manifold.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

Get yourself a set of extractors with reverse drill bits. Using reverse bits, the bolt might come out as you are drilling. If not just put in the extractor and back it out.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
ericd

Where can I get extractors? Local part store?

Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

Most parts stores should have them if they sell tools too. Sears, Lowes places like that.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make shure you get good ones if you break that off in there then your really scrwed cuz good luck drilling that. did it break off flush? if not try to get a pair of vicegrips on there make shure your vicegrips have really goot teath or go get a new pair you want them o bite in really good. also something else you can do if you know how to weld fairley well is a welder trick, if its flush or even a tiny bit in there is to get a nut about the same inside diameter as the bolt then with a 7018 rod or a mig (GMAW) start welding the nut to the bolt make shure your welding pritty hot to keep your slag floating if you get slag intrapment the nut could break off, start by welding i little circle in the midle the work your way out and welf it till the nut is full or if its small about half full anf the nut is glowing red hot. dont try to take it out right away! it will most likley break off if you do. let it cool in still air until you can put your hand on it comfterbley then try using a hand wratchet or wrentch back it off. wen you are doing this its doing 2 things #1 is obvious your putting something on the broken bolt to take it out with #2 what you dont see is since your heading the bolt up it is expanding right, well since it is threded in it cant expand around so it expands up and down now wen it cools it keeps this new shape and gets a tyny bit smaller so th bolt isent as tight in the hole this is called "upset dimentions". if you know what your doing it works great but if you arnt shure of your self and your welding ability dont do it, i prefer this to using easy outs or extractors because if you break the nut off after you weld it on you mostlikley will break off the easy out too its much easer to drill it out and use a heli-coil if you break off the nut then having to drill out an easy out. just some food for thought from experince

Old 03-04-2006, 11:29 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

Yeah you definitly do not want screws around in the manifold. One screw alone can wreck the whole engine. It gets throught the manifold, then through the intake valve and can get into the cylinders and the piston will slam it and wreck that cylinder. This is not somethin' to mess around with. Now if it's stuck in, I'd do the above responses. The way I read, it sounded like you lost it in the manifold itself.

Quick Reply: broke bolt