2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any Clues to finding Vacuum Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
dflyboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any Clues to finding Vacuum Leak

Hey I think i've got my rough Idle narrowed down to a vacumm leak. Ive changed my Map sensor and IAC, and when we put a vaccum guage into the intake manifold it only gives me a reading of 5" when ive been told it should be 14-18. I changed my plenum gasket about 15000kms ago and i dont have any oil consumption so i dont think its going out there. Any other suggestions besides getting it smoked to find a leak somwhere? Ive heard of sprayin either. anyone tried? If there are any ideas or websites please let me know. thanks.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: any Clues to finding Vacuum Leak

You can spray ether carefully around areas where you think there might be a vac leak while it is running. If the idle suddenly increases, you have determined the area of the leak. Be very careful doing this, and make sure the ether fumes are not being sucked into the air intake or you will get a false reading. It would be safer to have someone do the smoke test.

Quick Reply: any Clues to finding Vacuum Leak