2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
2cartiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question???

I have an 01 Ram with the 4x4 off road package and got the flowmaster catback exhaust. I love the sound, but is there any possible way to make it louder, like run a high performance catylitic converter or something???

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: Exhaust Question???

check out the magnaflow hi-flow cat. people around here seem to like them. flowmasters are not a flow through design so i don't think there is much you can do. you could swap it out for a glasspack or just pop off the muffler completely, but i wouldn't recommend that. cops don't like it and neither does the engine.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

If you want loud and legal, look into a Ravin resonator. Midas used to have them. I had one on mine and it was stupid loud. I switched to a Flowmaster 40 to quiet it down so you could carry on a conversation when going down the highway. I like my Flow 40 - it's loud when driving around town, but isn't as bad when cruising on the highway.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
2cartiger

so the hi-flow cat would add some noise?

Old 03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Bassman

yeah running with no muffler is kinda of loud sounds good though

Old 03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

racinfan83--
you were commenting on how loud your Ravin resonator was.... two questions first off, did you have headers? (wondering if to get it really loud id need headers also or just the resonator) and secondly do you remember how much it was when you bought it?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:36 AM
chefred112
All Star

...which flowmaster do you have?...that could determine how loud it is...you may just need to go to the next louder model... i have a flow 50 delta, if you need it louder you can go to a 40 series or even a 30 series...and thats really loud...here is a vid of my 50 on a cold day...

http://media.putfile.com/Flowmaster-Muscle-fredFlow50

Old 03-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

racinfan83--
you were commenting on how loud your Ravin resonator was.... two questions first off, did you have headers? (wondering if to get it really loud id need headers also or just the resonator) and secondly do you remember how much it was when you bought it?
Nope, no headers, it is a cat back system with the stock cat. I had the Ravin put in at Midas in 2001 when I bought the truck and had 2 1/2" pipes ran from the Ravin to the 3 1/4" chrome tips. That cost me $350 then. I just had Midas do my Flowmaster 40 system with 2 1/4" pipes to 3 1/4 chrome tips. The downsize to the 2 1/4" pipes was due to the fact that I rarely run at high rpms and the 2.25 brought back some low end torque. I got that deal Nov 2005 they had a special and did it for $299......I think the Flow 40 is plenty loud, and I have gotten several comments on how good it sounds. Like I said - the Ravin and the 2.5" pipes was so loud on the highway you couldn't carry on a conversation on the phone or with each other with the windows up. The Flow 40 is much better.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
RUNOVRYOU
Rookie

I just wanted to comment here:

I've got a 4.7 and a 5.7 After about 6 months of trying to figure out what to do about the stock exhaust I finally just crawled under the 4.7 and pulled the whole muffler and tailpipe assembly off. Absolutely loved the sound and got many comments on it. When I got the HEMI, better believe I was under neith it day one pulling that muffler off! It's a lot easier too when they're brand new! Anyway, I just wanted to say, with the 4.7, after about 4000 miles, the engine light came on throwing an emmission error and my milage went from 17/18 to about 12/13. Pretty sure the o2 sensors were fried but I never did anything about it. I've put about 10k on the HEMI with the pipe off and the engine light comes and goes actually. I can't really figure that out, but my milage hasn't changed at all... and I get about the same other HEMI drivers are getting. I have to say though.. from here on, as long as I'm in a Dodge truck, it's not going to have a muffler!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Nice set up. Sounds good.

Another thing for everyone to think about. I did not realize how loud mine was until I let the wife drive it. Sounds a lot louder if your behind it or standing out front when she gets in the throttle pulling out, and not in the cab or standing next to it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question???