2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hypertech III cause trans probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hypertech III cause trans probs

I would say the Hypertech didn't cause the problem - only amplified it and pointed it out to you. My shifting actually got better after installing the Hypertech program. I have about 8k miles on my tranny since it was rebuilt for the 2nd time. I also have not had any problem with pinging, and I run 87 octane on the 87 program. I still have the stock thermostat also. I'd be looking for another cause for the pinging.......

how can you tell if you have a bad cat?? is there certain noises.. loses.. or smells? my exhaust is kind of smelling like a$$.. i changed the plugs and wires tonight with autolite plugs and it didnt seem to bad

If your cat is not up to snuff, and I pulled the above from another post of yours, it will cause excessive temperatures in the engine due to the exhaust being restricted. This might be the cause of your ping problem...

Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 AM
tib2001
Rookie

I am 98% sure I know what the problem is.
Plain and simple, the transmission is completely shot.
Gonna need an upgraded TC, and a new or rebuilt tranny.
I also hope to get the modification done to make fluid flow in park.

According to the dealer (a small used car place) all the trans needs is a new filter. Because if the transmission was shot, the truck would not move at all. [sm=bs.gif] [sm=noooo.gif]
Any idiot knows better than that. I drove a ford taurus with no second gear for a whole year before the trans failed completely.
So since I just bought the truck, and it is still covered by there, 1000 mile warranty, they are going to change the filter on tuesday, and that will fix everything, YEAH RIGHT.

So should I find a way to nail them for the entire cost of the Trans????

Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tib2001

So should I find a way to nail them for the entire cost of the Trans????
absolutley!!!

sounds to me like there telling you it needs a new filter to stall you and hopfully get you over that 1000 mile mark so its not there problem. here is what id do take it to a tranny shop have them look at it and see what they say the prob is even before they change the filter who knows what temp fix they might try, get everything in wrighting, even if it costs 50 bux for them to look at it better than the whole cost of a tranny. then take that to the place you got the truck from tell them to fix it (give them the sheet from the tranny shop) or they get the truck back

Old 03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
A*n*t*h*o*n*y*

Not trying to but in here.. but I would definetly make them fix the whole tranny if you can. I know from when i got mine done that they will bend you over in an instant if they get the chance to do so.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

one word to make dodge dealerships good on there warrentys.. "lawyer" i mentioned it once and they remembered my name... treated me like i was royalty... its such bull**** when they sell you a warrenty then do everything possible to weasle out of it... i dont care if they lose money... i care if i lose money

hypertech stats in there instruction manual to put in a lower t-stat anyway...i had ping when i put my hypertech in and still had the lower tstat... switched to 93 with the 93 program and it went away... im attributing the ping to crapy gas..b/c it hasnt returned after switching back to 87 and different gasstations's gas

Old 03-15-2006, 03:19 AM
tib2001
Rookie

well, got the official diagnosis from the dealer, and from my personal mechanic.
2nd gear is shot, it is rebuild time. $1600-$2000 so I guess the sound system stays shot and stock till I sell my old DD, 2001 Grand Cherokee.

GRRRRRRRRR.

oh and I think my plenum gasket is shot, everytime I start the truck it smokes a lil oil out the tailpipe.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:52 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you over your 1000 mile mark? or have you had it less than 30 days? if do id just take the truck back see if thell fix it for you (at there dime of corce) if not hand them the keys back and tell them good luck trying to sell it without a tranny

Quick Reply: hypertech III cause trans probs