2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:04 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight replacement.

Ok, I have a 99 ram sport quad-cab. I have been trying to find aftermarket replacement parts. I have found many nice aftermarket headlights for 94-01 rams, problem is evry one said it was for the non-sport models only. I know my headlights are four way with two lights on each side. I find it does look better than many other lights, but I saw some black projectors on ebay. I want these lights, are the lights (sport and non sport) the same width? I am confident that this would look better than my current yellowed lens headlights. I also think that I could do something with the wiring to make it work.
Has any one else had a problem with replacing 99-01 sport lights?
Ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...44865453QQrdZ1

Old 03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Headlight replacement.

The headlights are the same size, but if I remember right, they use different side markers.

As for wiring, it will be different. You have to buy a harness to convert from non-sport to sport. I'm guessing you'd have to do some rewiring to convert back the other way.

Personally, I think the stock sport headlights are the best. You can run 4 bulbs on HI or LO at all times. Can't beat that light output in a headlight without going HID.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:12 PM
nolazach
Veteran

yeah i think that you are right. The projector and aftermarket lights aren't as clean a a new set of sport lights. Really I could get by if there was a good way to remove the fogging on my current lights, Has anyone ever done this before? Also I just purchased a dash cover for $100 has anybody ever put one if these on and does it look ok?
I am sure it probably isn't hard to put on, I just don't know if it will cheapen the look of the interior, I guess it can't be worse than the cracks I have now.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...tion_Kit_1.htm

There was just an article on that in Popular Mechanics this month. It's supposed to work well. I use several other Permatex products in the garage, so I don't doubt that it does. For $15, it would be worth a shot in my opinion

As far as the dash cover, there's supposed to be one that looks decent. The one sold at www.genosgarage.com I haven't really heard anything (good or bad) about other covers.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:26 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Thanx I just ordered it. I will post before and after photos for other ram owners with the same problem, and the same goes for the dash cover thank you for your help, this will save me over $200.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

there was a group buy where I got my sport headlight conversion from...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...6547&old=78064

i'm sure the source for the lights & harness were in there

Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

there was a group buy where I got my sport headlight conversion from...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...6547&old=78064

i'm sure the source for the lights & harness were in there
Steve, he already has sport headlights. He was asking about replacing his sport headlights with NON-sport replacements.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yeah, but reading his post it sounds like he had no luck finding replacement 4 bulb sports... that's why I posted it.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Actually the group is a great idea, the price is even less than ebays. I am holding out for the yellowing remover I just bought. Also ther are tons of Flooded Katrina Rams down here I could probably find the parts I need at a local yard. Thats where I got my caps and whels from and a set of the new 20's with tires for $200. That was a steal but whole trucks are going for that, people are taking the butback from their insurance and parting their cars. Their are so many of us doing it because we all lost at least one car.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

score yourself a hemi and do a motor swap!

when you get done cleaning them lenses in your truck lemme know how it goes... it would be awesome if you could take pics and to a good write up in the DIY thread for other guys...

Quick Reply: Headlight replacement.