2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine reving while idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 AM
dumbrod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine reving while idle

When I stop my pickup and put it in either neutral or park, the engine will rev from 1200-1400 back and forth for several minutes before returning to a constant normal idle rpm.

Why is this happening? It has just started on my 2001 Ram.

Air conditioner off, all fluids good, park and neutral yield same result.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:33 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Engine reving while idle

My truck did that for a little while. Figuring it was due for a tune up i changed plugs wires cap and rotor. that settled it down a little but didn't completely fix it. So then i cleaned my IAC and throttle body and that completely fixed the problem.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Yeah, he's right. Take off your tb, remove the Idle Air Control Motor from the back of it, and clean the tb and the plunger and the hole it goes in with spray carb cleaner. Should fix it..........

Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Yeah sounds like a throttle body problem. Not sure how relevant this is but on my polaris virage (waverunner) It sometimes surges, in fact when i was cleaning it down in Panama City Beach fl Last week (spring break 06... more like ****-Fest 06) i was revving it to get the salt water out... Well in doing so the engine would surge to 5-6k on the tachometer and I had to kill the fuel switch just to shut it off. Found out later it was due to my dirty *** carberator and the fact that the f-in gasket between the Carb and the Intake manifold was shot... AGAIN (replaced 5th time in 3 years!!! 3 times by the dealer!)...

(Anyone interested in buying a 2004 polaris virage?? Lol!)

But yeah, definetly check the IAC sensor and clean the trottle body, I was reading somewhere on this forum about how the proper way to clean the trottle body is to actually take it off the intake. That way your not leaving gunk everywhere inside the intake. Do a search on it. =)

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Engine reving while idle