2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MPG whining V/S Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG whining V/S Tire Size

I see all the threads about MPG on here and wonder if most everyone realizes that when we put larger tires on our trucks without adjusting our speedometers we are actually going more miles than the odometer shows.
I took a 500 mile trip to Myrtle Beach with a 16 foot enclosed bike trailer and thought I was getting 9-10 MPG. Then my buddy with a stock 2000 Chevy and I compared mileage and he was showing a lot more miles than me. The rest of the trip I went by his odometer and was getting 12-13. Not bad with the trailer loaded, truck loaded and taching 25-2800 the whole way with 3.55 gears. Sometimes 3000 RPMs. I'm the driver that everyone curses on their back bumper. Not using OD and running 70-75 MPH down I95.
Most of us bought our truck because it looks damn nice! I made the modifications, so if I want to whine, I caused it. Yeah his chevy will smoke me on a run. But when I get to Nags Head or Hatteres Beach, I take off across the sand and play while the stock gas sippers stay on the main path and hope they don't get stuck. When I get to a trail with mud, I stick it in 4X and get dirty while the stockers sit on the hill and watch. We only live once, HAVE SOME DAMN FUN!!!! When we are all together which truck is in the conversation. Not the every one has Chevy, that looks like your dads....

Some of us may have a few mechanical reasons for sudden changes or real bad mileage, but other wise, we bought a good looking truck. Put gas in it or get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!
Tune ups, regularly rotating and balancing your tires, running the right amount of air for the road, can go a long way.
My tires have a max air pressure of 35 PSI, and when normal driving on the roads, that is where I run them. They wear nice and get good tread life. I rotate and balance approx. every 5000 miles. Lube front end every couple of months to keep steering wander down and for piece of mind. And yes while the gas was 2.50 a gallon I drove a Lumina Z34 so I could fill up once a week and go farther. But normally I'm in the truck. A heck of a lot safer and more comfortable at 6'1"

Just my opinions. We all know what they are like......

Old 03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: MPG whining V/S Tire Size

You can re-calibrate your speedometer/odometer for larger tire sizes....

From Dodge Ram Info...

Subject: Changing tire size
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 20:53:20 CST
To: cummins

Stopped at my Friendly Dodge Dealer this morning on the way to work and inquired about the procedure for programming the CAB. He looked in the service manual, looked in a couple others and finally dragged out the Chassis Diagnostic Manual. There, in section 29A, it explains the procedure needed to program the CAB for specific tire sizes. [The CAB sends a pulse stream to the PCM, which drives the speedo/odo; to change the calibration, the CAB needs to be told, among other things, the number of teeth on the RWAL sense ring and the rev/mi of the installed tires.]

So, if you change your tire size and your dealer hasn't a clue as to correcting the speed/odo, point him to the Chassis Diagnostic Manual, section 29A. It's all there.

Fest3er

NOTE: the 98 1/2 models do not use speedometer gears and the speed metering is taken from the ABS sensors. To change "gears" for different tire sizes requires reprogramming of the PCM. Dealers have been having problems with this procedure, and many axle ratio/tire size combinations are not available.
Judging by the date of the original email, I'd say 98 1/2 models and newer don't use speedometer gears. [>:]

Personally, I don't whine about the mileage I get. When I used to drive my Ramcharger, I NEVER checked my mileage. Didn't care. Since I bought my V10 I've been checking the mileage, just to see how it compares to the rest of the V10 owners out there. So far, I seem to be getting better mileage. I didn't buy the truck for mileage though. I bought it for the elephant under the hood and the abilities it has as a truck. [8D] I've got 3 different cars to drive in situations where I'd be concerned about mileage.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:39 PM
eslock
Default RE: MPG whining V/S Tire Size

amen chopper1

Quick Reply: MPG whining V/S Tire Size