2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joints

I am plannig on replacing one of my axle u-joints in the front (driver's side), if the job does not take that long i will probably just end up doing both. Does either side (driver/passenger) of the axle have reversible threads for the axle nut or are they normal? Are there any tips that i should know? Also, how long did it take you to do yours, i know in the tech section (pavementsucks.com) it says 3 hours, but that is for replacing one of the hubs and both u-joints. How long does it take on average to do one u-joint, also, i have an impact wrench so i shouldn't have trouble getting the bolts off right?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: U-Joints

ORIGINAL: Dodge4x4810
I am plannig on replacing one of my axle u-joints in the front (driver's side), if the job does not take that long i will probably just end up doing both. Does either side (driver/passenger) of the axle have reversible threads for the axle nut or are they normal? Are there any tips that i should know? Also, how long did it take you to do yours, i know in the tech section (pavementsucks.com) it says 3 hours, but that is for replacing one of the hubs and both u-joints. How long does it take on average to do one u-joint, also, i have an impact wrench so i shouldn't have trouble getting the bolts off right?

Thanks
Threads are normal.

Time all depends on how rusty the bolts you're getting off are, and how much stuff you break in the process [8D] I'd say it would still take 3 hours because you're still gonna do everything in that write-up. All that's involved in changing the hub is unbolting the old one (which you're gonna have to do anyway) and bolting on the new one (in your case, you'll still use the old one).

As far as getting the bolts off, and impact wrench might not be enough if your axle nut is rusty. Might not be enough even if it isn't. My truck was a Florida truck (no rust at all) and I still had to get out the breaker bar and a long pipe for one side. I have a pretty good sized impact wrench too [&:]

As for tips, the hub can be kind of tricky to remove. I used a gear puller and a lot of WD-40. There's a trick here: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...threadid=62927 It's supposed to work well. I'll be trying it next time I have to take my hubs off.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Just something to consider. When you refer to the hub I am assuming the bearing pack, assembly, whatever it's called? Might be a good idea to go ahead and replace while it's all apart.
I have had 10" wide rims with 12.5 wide tires since 30K miles. At around 60-70K the passenger side was worn out to the point my son following me down the road said my tire looked cockeyed. Not bad since the dealer aligned it 3 weeks prior when they replaced the steering box.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your gonna do one you minaswell do both chances are if one is bad the outher one will be soon too, check your wheel berrings too (jack up tire and cee if you can wiggle it top to bottem) if so do those while your in there you will have them out anyways. the threds are normal, but there probley gonna take a bit to break lose the only outher thing and most important it be very careful taking out/putting in the axle shafts the axle seal in on the inside it scars very easy and is a bitch to change just be careful and it should be fine

Quick Reply: U-Joints