2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Order question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 PM
big truck man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order question

I would like to thank all you guys for the good info. you have all posted.

I'm looking to do some of the upgrades mentioned here. I have already ordered and received my Hypertek PPIII. My question is. Should I hold off on this until I upgrade the TB, check the pelnum gasket and upgrade if needed, and maybe a CAI?

Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: Order question

You can go ahead and install the Hypertech program now. You will notice a big difference. Add other stuff as you get money. You can put a K&N drop in filter in your truck for about $50 Instead of spending $220+ for a CAI if you like. The CAI is better, but helps most at high rpms which you probably don't reach very often, so the drop-in is a boost without the price. I would suggest the Fastman tb. Also, I don't know what you have for exhaust, but look into a cat-back dual system with a prformance muffler like a Flowmaster or comp. Forum searches on here have lots of info on all the mods. You can "unprogram" back to stock and then reprogram with the Hypertech at any time to reset the computer, or just let it learn the new settings as you drive after the mods.
Welcome to DF!

Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

If your going to do a cat back system i would suggest getting a high flow cat at the same time.
A bad cat will kill gas mileage, i gained 2 mpg with my high flow

Old 03-17-2006, 06:31 PM
big truck man

I'm really looking for good low end troque, for pulling and hualing loads.

As far as the cat. I had that replaced under warranty about 6 months ago, so it should still be good. the rest of the exaust is OE single.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

You would benefit in both low and high end by installing a single 3" exhaust with a Gibson or other performance muffler, or go with a Flowmaster 40 single in, dual out with 2 1/4 out pipes to 3 1/4" tips. Sounds awesome also. The single would probably be quieter if thats what you want. These systems help the motor "breathe" better while producing enough backpressure to make it run well and increase torque.
With the 360 motor you have, you could probably even use 2 1/2" out pipes on the dual setup. If your going to tow a lot with the o.d. "off" this would be of more benefit, as the bigger pipes flow better at higher rpms.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Chopper1
All Star

The flowmaster is what I have...

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/75F30FA685F84A818CB949C38428C75A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2006, 12:04 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

chopper that axle looks great...you paint it or just kept good care of it?

if you install that hypertech and expereince any sort of pinging itll be a smart idea to swap in a 180 degree thermostat... as per hypertech's manual and allmost all of us on here ... its a good idea to lower engine operating temps to reduce pinging while running 87 octane... along if it pings it could be a leaky plenum... anywho

Old 03-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Hey shot, funny that you ask.
Just so happens the other day it was 75 degrees and I was checking my rear brakes. The wife has been harrassing me since I lifted it about how the rear looks like sh*t when she is following me down the road. After not needing to change the brakes I bit the bullit and grabbed the creeper, wire brush, scraper, undercoating and black engine paint. Cleaned it up within reason, sprayed it with the undercoating, waited a while and came back with the paint. Could have done a little better job, but no one is usually that close to inspect. By the way the drive shaft was a b!t&h. The surface rust got thicker as I went forward. Didn't use under coating on the drive shaft though. Might cause balance issues. Took the whole evening. Half the time was wire brushing the drive shaft. Should have had it under coated when I bought it or done it 5 years ago when I first lifted it. D@mn now I need to do the front!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Order question