2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wierd transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:22 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd transmission

my tranny was acting wierd today and i just wanted to make sure it was nothing serious:

i was haulin a load of mulch (packed into the bed and higher than the bed, but i dont know how much it weighed. not light cuz it made the back end sag badly)

so i backed my truck up an incline and put it in park and started unloading. but then i had to move the truck (still most the weight in the back) and it did NOT want to go out of park. i had to muscle it down into drive and when it finally did it made a loud clunking sound- but once it was in drive it drove perfectly fine. is this something to do with hauling the load? or is something seriously wrong with my transmission?

thanx for the help ahead of time

Old 03-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: wierd transmission

Sounds normal for the truck being parked on an incline. When in park all the weight of the vehicle is on a little pin in a gear cog. Having the truck loaded makes it worse, even with it unloaded you'll get the smae thing, just takes a steeper incline. If you want to prevent the muscling and popping, apply the parking brake before you let off the brake when you stop. If you notice when you stop on an incline like that the truck moves a bit when you let off the brake, that's the load going against that pin. Given enough load (large incline / heavy load in truck) I have heard of cases where the park pin get broken, then the vehicle just rolls. The parking brake is there for a reason.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:28 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you were on an lncline with lost of weight in it and you only had it in park (no park brake) then bassically all the trucks weight (including the mulch) was sting on the park pin in the tranny so sinde it was holding you back and hade pressure on it thats prob why it was hard to move out and clunked. not the best thing for it but ifs not gonna blow uo from it ither next time you bark on an incling especially with weight in the back try this
1 stop (in gear)
2 set the park break
3 put it in park
this will keep the truck load on the breaks not the tranny

Old 03-18-2006, 03:28 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ok, thanx so much.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:30 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea i always use the park brake but i guess i put it on after i put it in park (so the load would still be on the pin). thanx again

Old 03-18-2006, 03:56 PM
tib2001
Rookie

I have found that putting it in neutral then mashing down the parking brake, is the best. if it is in gear, and you put the brake down and park on a downhill, then put it in park, it still is gonna have some stress on the parking pawl. whereas if it is in neutral when you brake it, it should not be having any drivetrain force on it to push the gears further in one direction or another.

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: wierd transmission