2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam, Fuel, and PCM issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:21 AM
mccalleyt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam, Fuel, and PCM issues

I was wondering what is the \\\"biggest\\\" cam i can install in a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 318 with a stock fuel management system and/or what PCM should i get to use so i can use a programmer to tune it when i change parts as i go along?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cam, Fuel, and PCM issues

For a cam your gonna need lifters too, and since your doing that you should get some rockers too...

I dunno about the biggest one but cams are very expensive for our trucks since they don't have a Mass Air Flow Sensor. The cams are special to work with an engine that doesn't have a MAF Sensor.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do you have any other mods done to the truck? im not sure if the effect of cams/rockers and lifters would be beneficial with out upgrading the intake/exhaust of the truck

Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 AM
dflyboy
Professional

Really do your research before putting a cam in. Ask exactly what computer mods need to be done cause if you dont it will run like crap. trust me im goin through it. All 318's need computer mods done when a cam is installed. It can be done but check it all out before you decide to get one.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:09 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

RM_indy i think has a cam .. i know theres a few companys that you can send your pcm out to them and they will reflash it to run the cam correctly... i know certain cams (360's atleast) like an extreme mild on doesnt need flashing done... but i could be wrong... i love the sound of a cam... you could get away with somewhat the same effects of a cam and the same sound (the best part of a cammed worked motor) by going with some bigger ratio rollerrockers... same idea... the push down more then what the stock rockers did... essentially giving you more "lift" but not really lifting..jsut pushing the vavle down farther... 1.7 ratio is the biggest that i know of you can put in these motors .. really nice gains ive heard of too

Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM
mccalleyt

well as i see it I hav eno mods other than exhaust. I was just seeing what the \"largest\" duration and lift if ya know what i mean that i can put in right now as is. Then later I need to look into what kind of computer to use. Then I was wondering if I could use this PCM http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-65.html . Also am i able to run true duals if I put the pre cat sensor on one side and I already have a O2 Sim on my post cat sensor. Or if i put sensors in both side and put a switch to go from one side to the other with two guages attached to see which one i need to switch to.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM
mccalleyt

well as i see it I hav eno mods other than exhaust. I was just seeing what the \"largest\" duration and lift if ya know what i mean that i can put in right now as is. Then later I need to look into what kind of computer to use. Then I was wondering if I could use this PCM http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-65.html . Also am i able to run true duals if I put the pre cat sensor on one side and I already have a O2 Sim on my post cat sensor. Or if i put sensors in both side and put a switch to go from one side to the other with two guages attached to see which one i need to switch to.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:18 PM
mccalleyt

can someone please help.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 PM
dflyboy
Professional

hey mccalleyt from Comp Cams here is the biggest they give for a good dependable tougher towing cam. 20-745-9 xr 264R-14 ( http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...HTML/32-43.asp ) you can look it up on that site using those #'s. its a mild cam but it can be put on without mods to the 360 computer... but will need them for a 318.

Quick Reply: Cam, Fuel, and PCM issues